Java problems - please help!

Reaction score
EDIT: So I have just read a forum post about Java 6 in OS X 10. 5 being only 64-bit, whereas Safari is only 32 bit so you can only run 64-bit Java apps as standalone, not as web applets. I don't know enough about computers to know if this could be my problem?

Theres loads of posts on all different forums about java errors and how to solve them however, i have read loads of them and none of the solutions have worked for me!

When trying to access a chat room which i go on regularly, last night it instead showed a white box which said "Error. Click for details". I tried to access a java games website and the same thing happens so it is not limited to the chat room.

On clicking for details this window appears:
"There was an error while executing the application. Please click 'details' for more information"

..and on clicking for details again i get this:

Java Plug-in 1.5.0_30
Using JRE version 1.5.0_30-b03-389-9M3425 Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
User home directory = /Users/home2
----------------------------------------------------
c: clear console window
f: finalize objects on finalization queue
g: garbage collect
h: display this help message
l: dump classloader list
m: print memory usage
o: trigger logging
p: reload proxy configuration
q: hide console
r: reload policy configuration
s: dump system and deployment properties
t: dump thread list
v: dump thread stack
x: clear classloader cache
0-5: set trace level to <n>
----------------------------------------------------

I tried several times over the course of last night and this morning, sometimes a different error appeared mentioning an error with java console but most of the time it shows the one above.
I last accessed the chat room the previous night and the laptop was not used in the 24 hours in between so i have no idea what could have gone wrong.

I have tried:
- Ensuring java and java plugins are enabled in Safari
- Disabling and re-enabling them
- Emptying cache and clearing cookies
- Accessing java sites using Firefox and Chrome
- Resetting PRAM
- Taking out battery, holding power button for 5 seconds then switching on again
- Ensuring software is up to date
- Tested my java status on the java website (says it is working)

I do not know what else to do?

I am using a white, early-2008 model Macbook which I have had for approx. 3 years now.
It is running Leopard 10.5.8

My computer has been very slow running and had safari crashing a lot recently.

I have had the Snow Leopard upgrade disc for a while and decided last night in desperation to finally install it in the hope it might fix things...unfortunately, i also have a dodgy disk drive which spins disks noisily for a while before spitting them out. I gave it a go anyway and the install time showed up as 4 hours 36 mins (!!!) It ran for about an hour before it stopped due to an error reading the disk.

I am upgrading to a macbook pro over the summer after mountain lion release therefore i do not really want to spend too much money fixing the optical drive or anything else on this macbook.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.