10.7.3 upgrade killed my audio...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.8GHz, 500GB, 4GB
I just upgraded from 10.7.2 to 10.7.3 today via the combo update and have lost all audio. I'm not getting any sound from either the built-in speakers, my speaker system, or my headphones.

The Sound pref pane doesn't show any options other than 'Digital Out', my task bar volume slider is grayed out, and my keyboard shortcut volume controls are also non-functional.

I've reset the PRAM to no effect.

Any other ideas, or is my volume toast until Apple addresses this with the next incremental release?

Thanks for any and all assistance!

Regards,
Ken

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you backup before applying the update? No? If not, boot to your Recovery partition and reinstall Lion. The Lion reinstall will do an automatic archive and install. Let's see if that fixes it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I would simply try re-applying the update for the moment. If that doesn't work, we can try digging further.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I would download and re-install the combo update. If that does not resolve it I would do what chscag suggested.

OP
kbalch
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, guys.

Yes, I did have a current backup (via Time Machine). Rather than just return to 10.7.2, I reinstalled from the 10.7.3 combo updater. No change.

I then repaired permissions from Disk Utility. No change.

I then unplugged my external speakers and rebooted. That (possibly in combination with one or both of the other fixes tried) has solved the problem. All of my volume controls are back and, when I plug my speakers and/or headphones back in, everything works as it should.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys; I really appreciate the help! :)

Ken

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Thanks, guys.

Yes, I did have a current backup (via Time Machine). Rather than just return to 10.7.2, I reinstalled from the 10.7.3 combo updater. No change.

I then repaired permissions from Disk Utility. No change.

I then unplugged my external speakers and rebooted. That (possibly in combination with one or both of the other fixes tried) has solved the problem. All of my volume controls are back and, when I plug my speakers and/or headphones back in, everything works as it should.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys; I really appreciate the help! :)

Ken

I would hazard a guess that the internals of the speaker socket are operating as a latching switch and that it needs to be reset which is what you did when you removed the jack from the externals.

OP
kbalch
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would hazard a guess that the internals of the speaker socket are operating as a latching switch and that it needs to be reset which is what you did when you removed the jack from the externals.

Sounds reasonable to me. I wonder what it was about the OS upgrade that triggered the problem? I suppose it could simply be a temporal coincidence, but that strains credulity. Mine, at least. :)

Ken

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds reasonable to me. I wonder what it was about the OS upgrade that triggered the problem? I suppose it could simply be a temporal coincidence, but that strains credulity. Mine, at least. :)

Ken

Hi Ken,
I can't be certain but my guess is that the contacts in the jack socket have normally closed switches connected to them. Plug in a jack and the switches will open, shutting off the audio to the internal speakers. Conflict could have occurred during the power interrupt/restart regime.

OP
kbalch
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Makes sense. I'll buy it. :)

Ken

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.