Use for old PPC G4?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2012 15" MBP 2.6GHz i7, Late-2011 13" MBP 2.4 GHz i5, Early-2008 Mac Pro 2.8Ghz Xeon
Hello everyone, I have an old PPC G4 996MHz Tower (one of the later ones) and am thinking it's time for it to go. I don't want to trash it, but it would be hard to sell so I was wondering If there was anything I could do to it/with it to get a little use out of it. Are there any cool inexpensive/free mods I could do to it? THanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" MacBook Air / Unibody MacBook / iMac i3 21.5" / iPhone SE
Well, we use an eMac 1.25ghz as our office machine and with the RAM maxed out and running Leopard it's still fine and quite snappy.
It replaced an Intel iMac with screen issues, and we really couldn't afford a like for like replacement.
The only thing is, I know if the eMac fails I can get another for about £60 and restore a backup to it in a trice, so we're keeping it.
So all in all I'd keep yours :)

Cheers :)

Hugh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I use my old G4 as a back-up server that holds some old files

With a few PATA hard drives it still has a good use as a back-up medis server and emergency machine should my MacBook suddenly give up on me

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Contact your local church groups, boy scouts etc. They are sure to know of disadvantaged youngsters that would really mputn the machine to good use.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2012 15" MBP 2.6GHz i7, Late-2011 13" MBP 2.4 GHz i5, Early-2008 Mac Pro 2.8Ghz Xeon
Yeah, I was thinking of giving it away, but I guess since it's my first ever Mac It's kinda hard haha. As far as backup machines go I have a Dell Latitude netbook along with a box full of Latitudes in the basement, though at the moment my 3day old MacBook doesn't seem problematic. My main use for it was back up as I like the idea of everything being backed up on an actual computer making finding files easier, but my dad still finds it useless as he is willing to let me use his 2 external drives for backup and it annoyed at the G4's power consumption. I think I may just try to sell it and use the money for an external HDD unfortunately.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
They're still fine basic computers for web browsing and email. Backups aren't a bad idea either. You have a later G4 so it can run Leopard too. Whatever you decide, just don't trash it. There's somebody out there that would be more than happy to take it off your hands for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
I have a 1.07ghz g4 ibook and love it. you could turn it into a local server for your other computers or use it for general web browsing using http://www.floodgap.com/software/tenfourfox/ and it works pretty good for the machines that they are.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.