Itunes: Deleting from hard drive after Deleting from itunes library

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knew how to delete song from the iTunes folders on your hard drive after you deleted them from iTunes? I was going through my music on iTunes and instead of Command + Delete from Hard Drive to Trash, I just deleted songs.

My problem is the hard drive is to small to do an export of my library, delete the old library and add the new one. Which I think may be the correct way to solve my problem. Any ideas?

C

chas_m

Whenever I try to delete a song from iTunes (by just selecting it from the Library and pressing delete) I get asked if I want to delete the song from iTunes or put it in the trash, and then a confirmation.

I suspect what you're doing may be trying to delete a song from a playlist rather than the music library (top of the left-hand column in iTunes). Songs deleted from the playlist are not trashed. Songs deleted from the music library are (with confirmation and emptying of the trash) gone.

OP
H
Reaction score
Figured it out

I found out a way to fix it. So my problem was I deleted thing off my itunes library without moving the files to my trash. So in the end i had 5k songs in my itunes Library and 50,000k in my folders... Not great when you are trying to save hard drive space.

I was able to export the music that I did want from my itunes library with a script that relocated the selected music to a new folder, ie external HD

Doug's AppleScripts for iTunes ♫ Re-Locate Selected v1.2 (Link to script) Scripts does not alert you when finished so keep an eye on the folder when all music is relocated (number of files vs number of songs selected)

Then I cleared out my itunes music library, by selecting all and deleting, and then deleted all the music from my music folder (Just the music, not videos or anything else).

Then add all the music you exported to the itunes library (Drag and Drop).

Last just consolidate your library so files go back were you want them. and deleted the files that were once exported.

Took me a while to figure out exactly what I wanted to do, but it worked.

Reaction score
You can export the playlist from wich you want to delete the files.
Then the playlist exported will contain the path of all the file you want to delete ...
Now you just have to run a batch wich will delete those files.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.