Setup Idea

J

JAdams

I've been looking to get a Mac and I've been looking at different possibilities.

I'd be using the computer primarily in my bedroom, which coincidently doesn't have a desk, so I was hoping for a laptop. Unfortunately, I can only really afford a refurb Mac Mini. I've been looking at using a KVM switcher to set it up next to my PC, but I feel it's kind of inefficient to have two computers right next to eachother and only be able to use one at a time.

So I was thinking, I have a TV in my bedroom. Would it be possible to hook the Mac Mini up to it and use my wireless keyboard and mouse?

Also, would it be practical? Would I get as good a picture as I would on a normal computer screen,

What would I need, and what would it cost?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
what size is the tv screen first off, its surely possible, but depending on th ehardware the picture might look wierd

OP
J

JAdams

macAttack said:
what size is the tv screen first off, its surely possible, but depending on th ehardware the picture might look wierd

13 inches is the nicer, newer one, but I have a 17 inch in the basement that I could probably bring up. It's nowhere near as nice though.

Reaction score
You just need a mini dvi to rca adapter. the only thing is that the tv might not have a good enough resilution for the mac to look good. im not a tv expert so i have no clue if this is true, but thats my guess!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
I say go for a refurbished/used eMac instead.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New MACBOOK
mynameis said:
No, the image quality would be so bad that you might as well not bother.

I agree, I tried this with a PC, and you can't read text, everything is fuzzy, and it gives me headaches. Just save up and get an ibook.

Reaction score
TV screens don't need as many pixels as computer screens so even with the bigger screen everything will look blurred and out of focus. However if you got the mac mini a TV card and a monitor then it will improve watching TV as the image would be much sharper. :cool:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.