• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple looking to improve water sensors for detecting iPhone damage

Reaction score
Apple looking to improve water sensors for detecting iPhone damage

Apple has shown interest in detecting water damage on portable devices like an iPhone or iPad through circuitry rather than the current color-coded liquid contact indicators found on existing devices.
mf.gif

a2t.img

Read more

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
Why they don't invest heavily in the new water-proofing coatings is beyond me. Although I guess a water-damaged phone needs to be replaced, and it's always nice to sell an additional device.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule
Using hydrophobic coatings will probably eventually become the standard. It's just a matter of time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Waterproofing the thing can't be that big of a leap. It's been done with far more mechanically complex things for years. Heck, I had a cordless home phone that actually floated and functioned in the hot tub. And that was in the early 1990's! The radio I use at work is waterproof, and it's a relatively cheap piece of crud example of cellular technology.

Reaction score
Thre are waterproof/shockproof smartphones out there, it just hasn't made it to Apple yet. I imagine it is because when Apple does decide to do it, it will be included on every iPad/Iphone type of device, rather then on a specialized one

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
The technique they use at the minute is pretty easy to remove/replace aswell. At least the initial one (inside the headphone port.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.