Will GTA Vice City lag on my Mac?

Reaction score
Hi all users on mac-forums.com. I was just wondering now when Gta III, Vice city and San Andreas are released to mac by steam, will they (or just Vice city, because i want that most) then lag on my Macbook Pro from (i think) 2009, with Snow leopard, Version 10.6.8 and Processor 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo? I am not so much into specs and so on, so just say i there are any other specs that are important in this case, but here are some further specs: Model-id: Macbook Pro 5.5 - Processor speed: 2,26 GHz - Memory: 2 GB - Chipset model: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M. I am just thinking about playing singleplayer, so would my Mac could run it without lag, or at least with not that much lag? And are there a way i can degrease the lag if it does lag? And will it help if i install OS X Lion? Please help me I really want GTA on my Mac because I am a big fan of the series. And please dont comment on why I have a Macbook when i am a player. Help!:Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Suggest you go ask the developers. GTAIII was released way back in 2001 so who knows?

GTAForums.com

OP
T
Reaction score
Ok thanks, I have too thought about it being an old game. Thanks for your half-advice ;)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I own the OSX versions of GTA 3, GTA Vice City and San Andreas. Not Steam but the ones from the Apple store.

Running on my 2007 iMac C2D 2.4 Ghz with 4GB RAM and OSX 10.7.3 Lion smooth as can be. The iMac does have desecrete video though but it's an older ATI card HD 2600 with 256 Megs RAM. I am a Vice City fan and have won it 2x on the iMac. It does play on my Macbook and Mini with X3100 Intel graphics and C2D 2.16 CPU very playable but some lag here and there.

Not sure how the Steam versions will play as there might be more overhead with the online part and steam manager running. GTA Vice City was $15 at the App store and a great deal if you love the game. My friend plays VC on his even older Macbook but there is a jerk here and there. DEAD smooth on the iMac though.

What was interesting is I also tried it on my friends old 1.66Ghz Mini with 2GB RAM and old Intel GMA 950 and it was not really any worse then his C2D Macbook was. I won the first 6 levels in maybe 15-20 minutes without an issue.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thank you so much, but will you then recomend i upgrade to Lion (I have snow Leopard), or should I try the game first to see how it works on Snow Leopard?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I own the OSX versions of GTA 3, GTA Vice City and San Andreas. Not Steam but the ones from the Apple store.

Running on my 2007 iMac C2D 2.4 Ghz with 4GB RAM and OSX 10.7.3 Lion smooth as can be. The iMac does have desecrete video though but it's an older ATI card HD 2600 with 256 Megs RAM. I am a Vice City fan and have won it 2x on the iMac. It does play on my Macbook and Mini with X3100 Intel graphics and C2D 2.16 CPU very playable but some lag here and there.

Not sure how the Steam versions will play as there might be more overhead with the online part and steam manager running. GTA Vice City was $15 at the App store and a great deal if you love the game. My friend plays VC on his even older Macbook but there is a jerk here and there. DEAD smooth on the iMac though.

What was interesting is I also tried it on my friends old 1.66Ghz Mini with 2GB RAM and old Intel GMA 950 and it was not really any worse then his C2D Macbook was. I won the first 6 levels in maybe 15-20 minutes without an issue.

You have no problem with VC? I have a new MBP and I get a stutter every 10 seconds or so. Makes it real hard to play.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If mine stuttered every 10 seconds I would not be able to play it. Not at all. San Andreas though for some reason does that once in a while on the iMac, but I have played VC from one end to the other and not an issue. Your MBP should blow down my 2007 iMac. Have you checked the Activity Monitor when this happens? Even my friends 2006 Macbook does not stutter, just a bit draggy here and there. Maybe something is wrong with the download you got and was my thought when I saw San Andreas doing it, but since I prefer VC, never tried to get it again. Either that or there is a Bug in SA. I really don't like SA that well. Prefer VC and III and hope they port 4 to the Mac although no Mac I own will play 4 smooth!

To the OP, No on Lion unless you want Lion. I just listed it so you would know my specs. The game works great on Snow Leopard.

I am playing it a 3rd time and last night won one of the hardest missions (for me) in the game and not one jerk on the iMac.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To the OP, do remember, This is VC from the App Store and not from Steam.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did and would. How much was VC through Steam?

OP
T
Reaction score
It is 7,5 Euro, but I cant find the VC on App strore, and when I click on a link that should bring me to the site, it just say that it cant find it (error)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe the EU store does not have it. I am in USA.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just checked, Apple yanked all 3 off the store. No one knows why and there are some quite ANGRY people on Apples forums. I am one of them.

Apple, you are blowing it.

OP
T
Reaction score
But what difference are there from buying it on Steam, to buying it from an another site? And can you recomend a site in Euro selling it?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have no experience with Steam on OSX and don't plan to use it. On Windows a client runs before you can launch the game and on games like GTA4, it sucks up so much RAM that sometimes the game has ran out of RAM! I prefer the native game when I can get it.

Maybe someone else can help on EU and where to purchase.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.