Time Capsule question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5K Retina 27" 2017, macOS 11.3.1 Big Sur, iPhone 7Plus, iPad Pro, Apple tv4, iPodT6
I am asking this question on behalf of a friend who has Time Capsule setup to auto backup his rig via Time Machine.
He has just upgraded to Lion 10.7.3 from Snow Leopard and did not create a bootable image of the Lion installer, saying he can create a bootable backup from his TM backups via Time Capsule. Is he correct in his view?
I am under the impression that backups from Time Machine are not bootable.
Thanks in advance.
:D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I am under the impression that backups from Time Machine are not bootable.

You are correct, you're friend is wrong. Backups made with SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner are bootable but those made with TM are not.

OP
MacGandalf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5K Retina 27" 2017, macOS 11.3.1 Big Sur, iPhone 7Plus, iPad Pro, Apple tv4, iPodT6
You are correct, you're friend is wrong. Backups made with SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner are bootable but those made with TM are not.

My thanks for your reply chsag. I will pass on your information to him. :Cool:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.