Favorites in Lion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
I persuaded my wife to replace her old PC with a Mac. We started with a laptop but it's way too small and bad for Senior Citizens' posture! So we swapped it for an iMac just like mine, or so I thought.

There seem to be some differences with the Lion OS compared with Leopard. I make aliases for all my favourite (Brit. spelling) folders, rename the alias and put it in Favorites but that doesn't seem to work with Lion.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
In what way is it not working? Nothing has changed in that regard since Leopard.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In what way is it not working? Nothing has changed in that regard since Leopard.
In Finder I can't see Places. I transferred the entire profile from the Mac laptop to the iMac and ended up with 2 Users. I've deleted one leaving just the one I transferred.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I just created an alias of one of my folders, renamed it, and dragged it to the Finder Sidebar and dropped it there. Is that what you're referring to?

And yes, there is no "places" in the Lion Finder. You now have an option to show "All My Files".

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Conflict resolution SOLVED

I just created an alias of one of my folders, renamed it, and dragged it to the Finder Sidebar and dropped it there. Is that what you're referring to?

And yes, there is no "places" in the Lion Finder. You now have an option to show "All My Files".

Thanks; that explains a bit but I got Applecare to sort things like access to Library. I also think there was a conflict because, when I moved the profile from the Macbook to the iMac, I had to rename the User file 'cos it said that the name already existed. I added a 1 to it but I think that the original was lurking somewhere in the background. Anyway Applecare helped me to make a User without the 1 and without losing all my files so the conflict seems to have been resolved.

Anyway many thanks for your help.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Changed name doesn't appear when drageed to Favorites

For some reason when I drag the alias to Favorites the name reverts to that of the underlying folder.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.