Macbook White 2010 won't charge after HD replacement

Reaction score
Good morning yesterday i upgraded my HD taking every precaution with Static electricity concerns..I installed everything and went to turn on my computer it would not turn on nor charge..In fact the Magsafe charger wont even light up any more..During the night it was faintly flashing green and amber..After some research i decided to do a SMC reset and then a PRAM reset..I got the computer up and running..I installed Coconut Battery software to see my battery it was -1 (negative one) on all the read outs..Since then my battery has run out and i can no longer turn on my computer..

Any ideas on what has happened?? If i fried the Mother/Logic borad would the computer of restarted several times like it did?? Anyways any assistance would be greatly appreciated..Thanx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Unfortunately you may have a blown PSU on the motherboard. My mother-in-law had this happen just recently. But it could also be that the MagSafe board is loose or faulty. Here's the tear down guide for the 2010 MacBook:
MacBook Unibody Model A1342 Mid 2010 Teardown - iFixit

And that latter part:
MacBook Unibody (Model No. A1342) MagSafe DC-In Board (922-9176) - iFixit

Backtrack all your steps and double check all the connections, that one in particular. You may want to pop back in the old drive for kicks if all else fails.

OP
K
Reaction score
thanx for the tips..what was involved with your mother-in-laws replacment? a whole new motherboard? and what did it set you back as far as cost??at the moment the the charger is showing a Green steady light..very strange..but i cannot boot up as the battery is dead!!!

OP
K
Reaction score
How did you actually know whether or not to replace the "MacBook Unibody (Model No. A1342) MagSafe DC-In Board"?? thanx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
She took it to a local authorized service center to test it to be sure. They confirmed the MagSafe part in particular wasn't the problem and that it was the logic board. They told her point blank that replacing it wasn't worth it, so she didn't even ask for a final quote.

That said… I'll be replacing it myself in the next week or 2. I know I can get the board off eBay from a highly reputable reseller for a couple hundred. The repair otherwise would have probably been around $700. The board alone usually goes for $400-$500. And that's in her 2008 MacBook. Yours would be a lot more. Depending on the CPU you have, you are looking at $600 - $750 from iFixIt just for the board.

MacBook Unibody (Model No. A1342) 2.26 GHz Logic Board (661-5395) - iFixit

MacBook Unibody (Model No. A1342) 2.4 GHz Logic Board (661-5640) - iFixit

Actually it looks like iResQ will replace it for $400. They also offer a free diagnostic service, though obviously you'd have to ship it to them.
MacBook Screen Replacement: Late 2009 Model (LED)

I would just reverse your steps and double check everything as before. If it won't work, you can try taking it to an Apple Store or a local authorized service center to do diagnostics to be more sure. I rather doubt there's anything else it could be though.

You can also get a repair quote from Powerbook Medic. Just plug in your serial or model number and pick the logic board replacement option.
Mac Service - Apple Mac Repair and Upgrades for your Mac, iPad, iPod, or iPhone

OP
K
Reaction score
one last question please..any chances i can have the link from ebay??cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
one last question please..any chances i can have the link from ebay??cheers

Sure. Which exact model MacBook do you have? Need CPU speed, size (13" vs 15") (EDIT: Duh… only 13 inchers for the white MacBook), and need to be sure of year (late 2009 vs mid-2010).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A1324

MC207LL/A

thanx a lot..

Not the same reseller, but here's the one hit I got with the model number A1324:
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

It looks like that is a typo though. Sure it's not A1342? It looks like you should have the late 2009 model. If so, here's a complete list of boards. A few listings are for repairs to the original board also, which would be a fair bit cheaper.
macbook logic board A1342 | eBay

EDIT: a number of those boards are for the mid-2010 MacBook. They have the same model number (A1342) but a different "MC" code. Be aware of the difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
Have you done a PRAM reset on it yet?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.