Why bother with Apple's desktops (as opposed to their notebooks)?

Reaction score
I'm considering a gift for parents and was going to buy a Notebook without much thought to a desktop (last used a desktop half a decade ago) and so I thought they might worth a revisit.

Thing is, when I think of desktops, I think cheap(er), configurable (upgrades) and modular (change a screen without having to change the tower).

The iMac removes all those things! Its neither cheap, not as configurable or modular (As say a Pro). So what is it exactly that got you to purchase one? And did you regret it or find something pleasantly surprising about it?

Similarly, the Mac mini can't be upgraded and is miniaturized. Why make something that's going to be in one place smaller?

Do you think either is worth purchasing as opposed to a Notebook+Display for primarily fixed location use? And which one would be better, Mac Mini or iMac? I'm looking more for a form factor functionality based answer (as in I know about the internals and they're sufficient in all cases)

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
All the Apple products that you listed have all the same upgradability minus the Pro. You can upgrade the RAM and HDD on all of them. Some are more difficult than others but you can upgrade them yourself.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Dear Andy

In addition to the response from CrimsonRequiem, you asked for a "functionality based answer" by which I assumed you meant - advice from an End User.

I have two iMacs and, I'm guessing, I'm probably around the age of your parents (heaven help me).

What the iMac offers me is the ease of use of a fixed location with a comfortable seat.

The product comes out the box, gets plugged in and works immediately. No "trial software" included which requires you to purchase it, license it and all the rest. No hidden costs. Nice neat, slim screen with all the workings hidden away. Greatly reduces clutter of wires. And the OS and software included covers just about all needs.

An incredibly easy-to-use automated BackUp facility called Time Machine (TM). Yes, your folks will need to buy an EHD, but once set up, TM is a leave-me-alone-and-forget backup that works in the background.

Software updates are a breeze and pretty well automatic. Apple offers an enormous range of additional software to suit all hobbies, professions etc and these can be purchased individually rather than in a bundle or pack with no haggling over licenses etc.

Malware and viral attacks are very, very rare - you don't need anti-viral software. Crashes happen, but on a scale several magnitudes lower than I experienced with Windows.

Then you have AppleCare which offers telephone support, covers the cost of breakdowns or replacements and is, in my view worth every penny. Even without it, the Genius Bar of any Apple Store will help with any problem - even if you just want to know "how to do" such & such. No need to wait for a breakdown to use this service.

So, given the likely age of your parents, the iMac will full-fill all their requirements in a no-fuss, anxiety-free atmosphere.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
I have 2 Macs now. I have my main 2011 17" MBP all decked out. It is the one I use for all day to day and FCP and everything else. It is nearly always by my side.

I just got a MacMini (the $1000 one with the i7) with as much as it can hold. It sits at home in my console rack plugged into my 65" 1080 HDTV and is now a media server via iTunes and Air Media Server (which I have the client for on my iPhone and iPad.) My plans with it are simple - serve my entire collection to all my devices. That part is going to be a labor of love this year. This is what I bought it for. I didnt need/want a Mac Pro or an iMac.

What you need to do is look at what the PC will be used for and what form factor will best suit the needs of the users.

and the Mini can be upgraded, but only the RAM and Hard Drive. Like a notebook, the processor and video card cannot, so if you look at the Mini, get the best processor and video card you can get, upgrade the RAM and HD later.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I bought a iMac and my reasons were that I didn't want a mobile computer, I was going to use it in my home and on my desk. I also wanted the big 27" screen for a lot of reasons, and I opted for the highest processor at the time of my purchase and have upgraded to the RAM as well..

If I wanted to do the same with a MBP, I'd have to buy a beefy version of that AND a 27" Cinema display..

I've been building and using Windows-based computers for over 20 years and did enjoy upgrading stuff, but eventually that gets very old and I'd rather have a combination of hardware (and software that runs on it) that "just works" without having me constantly tweak something..

The iMac offered that and based on my usage (coding, browsing, email, and other shenanigans) it fit me really well.

Unless your parents are really interested in being mobile with their new computer, the iMac is a very attractive option..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
If my daughters bought me an iMac as a gift I would be beside myself with joy!

Seriously, our iMac is used for my business most of the time (for all the technical reasons listed above) and occasionally by my wife. We both have unfettered access and have never bothered setting up separate user accounts because our levels of usage are so different.

It stays in the same place all the time looking reassuringly expensive and is permanently on (or in sleep mode) hard wired to the mains.

An ExHD is permanently hooked up for TM back up, which is almost never the case with a notebook.

There are no battery or charge issues, it never leaves the house or gets moved around getting bumped or dropped.

We can both view and discuss things on the display without clashing heads and straining eyes, which is a boon when you get to our age.

It doubles up as TV/DVD/Radio/Music player sometimes which is viewable and audible from a distance.

It is more comfortable to work around.

Regards,
Liam

Reaction score
I purchased my first iMac in 2007 as a result of total exhaustion from trying to keep up with the spam, spyware, hack-attacks, and general deficiencies of the Windows XP operating system. I understand that Vista, 7 and 8 are no real improvements. The iMac was a dream come true, fast, safe, and reliable. Then last weekend it just suddenly upped and died on me -- without warning. Nothing I have been able to do has been able to get it to boot up, so it goes to the Genius Bar tomorrow. I am also thinking about walking away either with a Mac Mini on order or actually in hand.

I liked the fact that the iMac was an all-in-one. I had transported it home to my parent's house several times -- a 450 mile one-way trip -- and the nearly instant set-up, internal WiFi, and available of full-sized display and keyboard made it much more user-friendly than a laptop. Somehow, laptops and I have never seen eye-to-eye, and as I have no "mobile" computing needs per se, I've never bothered to own one. The Mac Mini will bring me back into the realm of cables and peripherals, mainly an external optical drive, but I like the fact that I'll be able to buy a nice big 23" LG or Samsung display for it and connect via HDMI. It comes with an HDMI to DVI adapter for use with DVI monitors as well, and I have plenty of them to choose from until I get the new display.

For a home computer user with no need for Windows-specific business applications, the iMac or the Mini would be a real blessing in terms of user-friendliness. There is a bit of a learning curve for new "switchers," but this forum will help with that, I'm sure. And if Windows apps must be used, you can use Boot Camp and create a Windows partition on the iMac or Mini and essentially have two computers in one box. Hope this helped.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Depends on the use your parents will put the machine to and their computer literacy. If an all in one will suit them by all means go for the iMac. For someone who likes to upgrade their computer with extra hard drives, graphics etc. then go for the Mac Pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hey we've all pitched in with some sincere advice here...did the OP just go down the pub?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 21.5" i5 iMac 2.7ghz 4gb ram 1tb HDD
He's probably out buying an iMac.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys! Great info.

I (and folks too) are pretty tech literate and comfy with computer operations and so the actual hardware specs and software functionality is something I know will suffice on any machine I buy.

My primary motivation in starting the thread was to gain an insight into the unique proposition of AIOs/Nettops like iMac and Mac Minis. In my mind, they are a logical fallacy - desktops without any traditional advantages) but since they sell so well, clearly I missed something and people find something very alluring and compelling about them. Personally, I would reach for a MBP/MBA 9 times out of 10 but with all this new info, I'll definitely ask the folks once what THEY prefer without making an assumption. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
I can say this, after nearly 17 years as a network engineer, they sell well because they just work. It isnt a matter of dumbing down anything, it is a fact of an interface that works with the hardware and there is still room for those of us who tinker to get in and micro-manage the operations of the OS.

5 years from now, if you monitor 2 things (your Disk health and permissions) that iMac and MacMini, as well as the notebooks, will be running as fast as the day you pulled them out of the box. The iMac and MacMini lose nothing due to form factor for people who want a general use computer of any kind. Now, I am not looking at high-end gaming, but just general use.

Within 1 reboot (os upgrade) and 1 hour of pressing the power button on my MacMini, it was serving all my iTunes media out to all devices I wanted it to. It took me 3 days to get a Windows Media Server to just pull audio correctly. Did I mention, almost 17 years in the industry, 12 on Windows alone.

I also have a 17" MBP which is my main PC. The Mini is hooked up to a 65" 1080 HDTV and is cooking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
I had the MacBook Pro and the iBook g4 but they are now my back up machines. I use my imac now because i do a lot of video, photo and web designing and the bigger screen is what is nice about the imac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
I have a 24" iMac and to me, it's the perfect computer. Backups without a thought, nice big screen, very responsive even though it's 3 years old. Just a great comfortable computer. I just got a 2011 Mac Mini i7, but I would give that up in a heartbeat if I had to choose between the two

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys! Great info. I (and folks too) are pretty tech literate and comfy with computer operations and so the actual hardware specs and software functionality is something I know will suffice on any machine I buy....with all this new info, I'll definitely ask the folks once what THEY prefer without making an assumption. :D
We opted for a 27" iMac desktop instead of MacBook for all the same reasons as the other posters, and use our iPads and iPhone as a laptop replacement when away from the desk. Has worked very well for my wife and I, even on business and family trips. The old Windows laptop is lying around gathering dust.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Thing is, when I think of desktops, I think cheap(er), configurable (upgrades) and modular (change a screen without having to change the tower).

The iMac removes all those things! Its neither cheap, not as configurable or modular (As say a Pro). So what is it exactly that got you to purchase one? And did you regret it or find something pleasantly surprising about it?
Technically, an iMac isn't an dektop, it's an all-in-one. And, if you compare base iMacs to base Apple notebooks of equivalent price, the iMac is more powerful.

Similarly, the Mac mini can't be upgraded and is miniaturized. Why make something that's going to be in one place smaller?
It can be upgraded(ram/hdd/ssd). Maybe people aren't looking for a large desktop-sized tower like a Mac Pro...

Do you think either is worth purchasing as opposed to a Notebook+Display for primarily fixed location use? And which one would be better, Mac Mini or iMac? I'm looking more for a form factor functionality based answer (as in I know about the internals and they're sufficient in all cases)

The worthiness is dependent on your needs. We can't possibly tell you what is worth more for you when we have different uses/needs.

People who use "desktops" usually have their own screens that they want at a larger size than a notebook can offer. They also want more hdd bays(Mac Pro). Some might want a large screen, but don't have a lot of room for a tower(Mac Mini). Some just want a system that has everything in one unit that offers a large display(iMac). A MBP will never have the power of a Mac Pro, nor will the iMac, which is just slightly faster than a MBP. The most powerful Mac Mini is slightly slower than the most powerful MBP. So, power need and screen variants seem to be the best reasons for people who buy them.

In my opinion, you seem to be against desktops, and I can just about see you regretting a desktop over a notebook. For that reason alone, you'll probably be best with a MBP.

From my own use, I use the MBP everywhere, and use my PowerMac G5 for storing everything...it's the media hub for everything that can store media. I don't want important files moving around with the possibility of getting lost/stolen/damaged.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I bought a iMac and my reasons were that I didn't want a mobile computer, I was going to use it in my home and on my desk.
And many others don't need the portability of a notebook. While I depend on being able to move my Mac, many people could care less because they do all of their computing at home.

Technically, an iMac isn't an dektop, it's an all-in-one. And, if you compare base iMacs to base Apple notebooks of equivalent price, the iMac is more powerful.
This is what I wanted to say. The entry level iMac has a better video card, a screen 8.5" larger and a considerably better processor (at least for the sake of future proofing). It's also $50 cheaper. ;)

Now, all of that is irrelevant if you need portability but if you don't, why would you buy a notebook?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Now, all of that is irrelevant if you need portability but if you don't, why would you buy a notebook?
Because I do 90% of my computer time in my recliner and I don't have a convenient place to put an iMac. With a lapdesk and laptop I am good to go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Because I do 90% of my computer time in my recliner and I don't have a convenient place to put an iMac. With a lapdesk and laptop I am good to go.

well, then by definition you require portability ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.