When my iMac wakes up, stuff stops working (bluetooth, iSight, scanner)

Reaction score
Bluetooth, iSight, and my printer/scanner all work just fine. But, when my iMac falls asleep, they all stop working when I wake it up.

Bluetooth becomes "not available," and nothing I do can reactivate it. This means my Magic Mouse won't work, so I have to use my keyboard's numerical pad to control the pointer (actived by pressing 'option' five times.) It's a royal pain, and the only way to get bluetooth working again is to restart the iMac.

My built-in iSight becomes disconnected. Everything on my iMac tells me "no camera connected," or something to that effect, except for Skype. For some reason, Skype recognizes my iSight, but all other programs (photo booth, iMovie, other third-party apps) and system preferences will not. It's a royal pain, and the only way to get iSight working again is to restart the iMac.

My scanner stops talking to my iMac (but the printing still works.) When I look in System Preferences/Print & Fax/Scan/Open Scanner, it just says "No Scanner Detected." Turning the scanner off and on doesn't help. It's a royal pain, and the only way to get the scanner working again is to restart the iMac.

Does anyone else experience this? Is there any way to fix it, other than restarting the iMac? I have to disable sleep to avoid these problems, but that's not a healthy choice...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Without any info about your iMac, the only suggestion I have is to reset the System Management Controller which controls sleep - wake and power functions. Here's how:

Shut the iMac down and remove the plug from the AC socket. Let it sit for around 5 minutes. Plug it back in and restart.

OP
awsmith2006
Reaction score
Without any info about your iMac, the only suggestion I have is to reset the System Management Controller which controls sleep - wake and power functions. Here's how:

Shut the iMac down and remove the plug from the AC socket. Let it sit for around 5 minutes. Plug it back in and restart.

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, this trick didn't work. If you can think of any other tricks, let me know. I'll try anything, at this point, lol

Reaction score
I don't understand. You say BT will not turn on after waking. So nothing has turned it back on since that first event, or something turns it on and then it is off after another wake-up?

OP
awsmith2006
Reaction score
I don't understand. You say BT will not turn on after waking. So nothing has turned it back on since that first event, or something turns it on and then it is off after another wake-up?

When I turn on my iMac, everything works fine. When it goes to sleep and I wake it, stuff fails. So I have to restart the iMac to get it working again. Make sense?

Reaction score
So a restart restarts everything. This seems to be similar to the long thread on wireless not reconnecting after sleep, maybe related somehow?

OP
awsmith2006
Reaction score
So a restart restarts everything. This seems to be similar to the long thread on wireless not reconnecting after sleep, maybe related somehow?

It does sound similar. Could you link me to that thread? Perhaps my answer lies within...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.