2007 Macbook pro Keyboard repaired, new problem.

Reaction score
Hey guys, a few weeks ago, I spilled coffee on my 2007 Macbook pro. (2.4 ghz) It still worked except for the fact that half the keys on the keyboard didn't work. I ordered a new keyboard, replaced the old one but now when I plug the top case back into the main board, I can turn on the computer with the power button and it boots up but once it boots, it goes to the login screen but the keyboard and trackpad don't work. I then get a message saying no keyboard plugged in. I can still turn it off with the power button also. Any suggestions?

BTW I am using Electrical tape on the keyboard to main board cable because the kap tape is no longer sticky.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2011 mac Mini, 2.3 GHz core i5, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Sierra, Retina display iPad, Iphone 5S
What happens if you reinstall the old keyboard? If you go back to the old symptoms, then you possibly received a defective keyboard. How does the mainboard connector look? Any coffee stains? Any coffee stains on the mainboard? You may have a defective mainboard also.

Bill

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sounds like the coffee has gone further than the keyboard. Coffee is a particularly nasty substance on logic boards causing corrosion and often failure.

OP
S
Reaction score
I threw away the old keyboard, it got damaged in the process of removing as I was not very careful because I knew I wouldn't need it. As for the main board, it looks fine, I'm pretty sure its fine. It worked fine for a few months now since the coffee spill (Which was a few months ago, I was wrong before) other than the keyboard.
BTW when Im testing this, the cover is not screwed on, it is just placed on does that matter?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2011 mac Mini, 2.3 GHz core i5, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Sierra, Retina display iPad, Iphone 5S
Too bad you screwed up the old keyboard. I wouldn't think that not having the cover screwed on would cause this problem. You have checked to be sure that nothing is touching anything it shouldn't... After 40 years of field electronics experience, I have seen coffee cause problems 2+ years down the road. It is nasty, it gets into places under chips that you would never see. Not to mention any cream or sugur will just compound the issue. If I'm a betting person, which I am not, I would have to agree with HarryB that the mainboard is toast. You could try and RMA the new keyboard as received defective and get another one, but I have my reservations...

Bill

OP
S
Reaction score
Well I guess that sucks :/ Ill keep fooling around with it and see what I can figure out, also is it ok if one side of the keyboard is a little not seated all the way in on one side? Just a tiny bit. Would It help If I got close up pics of any components?

OP
S
Reaction score
And also, what I don't understand, if the port is toast, why does the power button work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pictures really wouldn't help. The problem may not be at the port. It is possible that the liquid shorted signals and caused problems further down the line on the mainboard. All sorts of data are clocked around and just one missing signal can cause real problems. It could just be caused by oxidation from the coffee, some damage to a surface mount component on the logic board that isn't see, or any myriad other causes. The easiest way to prove this would be to RMA the keyboard as received defective, Carefully install the replacement, and then go from there.

Bill

OP
S
Reaction score
Allright I think I know whats going on. I think I fried the main top case ribbon cable. The one from the top case to the main board, not the keyboard one. The first few times I put it in, I put it in backwards and it would get really really hot so I think I fried it. Is there any way I can get only a new one of those or do I need a new top case?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is NEVER a good thing when cables get hot. By misconnecting the plug, something has pulled a lot of current thru the cable to places that are not designed to handle the current. The likelihood that it is just the cable is slim to none. Mainboard, top case, dont know. My advice would be to give Apple a call, tell them exactly what happened and they may be able to give you a worst case estimate as to the cost...

Sorry, I know that isn't what you wanted to hear.

Bill

OP
S
Reaction score
Hmmm. It was only plugged in for a few seconds, should I buy a new one? They are only 20 bucks. Do you think its worth it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Seegee,

Sorry, I had to step away. If it's only 20 bucks and you want to try it, you may get lucky! Let us know how you make out.

Bill

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
I have a question, when the machine is booting does the cap locks key light up when you press it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.