Back my iMac in SafeMode?

Reaction score
Okay so my iMac keeps getting Kernel Panics when I'm on it. I need to know how to back up all my pics/files while in safemode so as not to lose them before i do a reinstall. Can anybody tell me how to use TimeMachine or something equivilent to that in SafeMode? I have business software and files as well as all my wifes pictures on this machine and I can't seem to get it all backed up.

Thanks in advance.

Oh and I have a macbook pro I can use if that helps.

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Assuming you have a USB external drive large enough to hold the data from the iMac.... Hook your iMac to the MBP and use firewire Target Disk Mode to access the hard drive on the iMac and copy the data to the USB drive. Follow the directions in the Apple KB article I linked to.

OP
B
Reaction score
Assuming you have a USB external drive large enough to hold the data from the iMac.... Hook your iMac to the MBP and use firewire Target Disk Mode to access the hard drive on the iMac and copy the data to the USB drive. Follow the directions in the Apple KB article I linked to.

Okay, so will this be as easy as TM or is this something where I have to locate all my files first then drag them into the backup drive?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Never said it was going to be easy.... ;) You need to locate the files manually and do a drag and drop. It shouldn't be that difficult though if all you really need to do is save off your user profile account with its files. You can always reinstall your applications later on from the original disks or images.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.