Time Machine Fails Back on new system running Lion

Reaction score
I just got a new 27 In 3.1 Ghz iMac. I've got 16gig of RAM. I purchased a new USB portable drive to use for Time Machine Backups. The system drive is 1TB with about 250 gig free (I moved a bunch of stuff from my old iMac with the Migration Assistant). The USB drive is also 1TB.

It looks like Time Machine has copied over most of the data, but I keep seeing the message after a backup is complete. I tried erasing the drive and zeroing it out and then repartitioned as Mac Journaled. and when I started a new full Time Machine backup it failed with the same results. I'm pretty sure there is no issue with this drive especially after doing an erase writing all zeros to it...I'd have expected a failure there if the drive had some type of defect with writes.

Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions? I'd like to get this thing going and working without errors to know that my data is safely backed up.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It looks like Time Machine has copied over most of the data, but I keep seeing the message after a backup is complete.

Post the error message for us to see.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.