How do you Multitask in OS X?

Reaction score
Recently moved to OS X and I always juggle at least 3 open windows (Browser, Word processor, Finder)

What is the workflow that suits you best and you find to be the quickest and most efficient? I was a long time Windows and Linux (Gnome 2.X/KDE 3.X) user and both had the simple way of clicking on Taskbar Window icons to multitask.

Dock: I have a Macbook Air and the limited screen estate means I'm often running in full screen with full screen apps and have no easy access to the dock (non Lion users: the dock does not show on hitting the bottom edge, rather its a two step process of hitting the bottom edge and then some additional movement downwards to activate it). So the Windows/Linux kind of multitasking is not practical on such a small screen with a large dock anymore.

Cmd+Tab: Seems kind of retro, also it does not allow selection of different windows of the same app. (Is there a modifier key for this?)

Mission Control: This is what I currently use and though it seems snazzy and visually attractive, its an in between step and objectively 200% slower at least (1. Activate Mission control, 2. Choose App/Window) as opposed to directly selecting the App/Window.

Whats your preferred method and why?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
If I'm dealing with multiple fullscreen apps open at once, such as Photoshop, Lightroom and Safari for example, I put them on separate desktops and then just four finger swipe left and right between them.

Takes a matter of seconds to switch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini
I use Mission Control and find that it works great.
I also use the four finger swipe also and it also works fine for me.

DavidH

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
3 finger swipe left and right.

Cheers ... McBie

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I'm the ultimate multitasker - that goes for OS X or Windows - but it's so much nicer in OS X. I use cmd+tab and spaces. I occasionally use mission control just to get a birds eye view of what I have running. My dock stays hidden unless I need it - which is very very rare. I use launchpad more than I do the dock - and even that is rare. I occasionally use apps running in full screen and then it's both cmd+tab and 3 finger swipe - depending on what moves me at the moment. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.