iPad without PC or Mac

Reaction score
I purchased my elderly mother in iPad for Christmas. She does not own a PC/Mac so it is a standalone unit.

She has a number of documentaries on DVD and I see from google there are many software available that I could rip her DVD's on my MacBook Pro to iPad format. But it appears to transfer these files the obvious option is via iTunes which is not ideal, what is my best option to transfer photos/movie files to her iPad from my laptop?

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
why cant you use itunes?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Syncing with iOS devices is truly done only through iTunes..you can do a lot without connecting these devices to a computer with iOS 5..but you are going to be restricted in the things you can get onto the device with what's available through the iTunes or App Store on the device..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
You could share a dropbox account with your grandmother. Rip the video files to your computer and she can access them with the dropbox app on her iPad. I'm pretty sure it requires the host computer to be on and running in order for her to access the video files, so you may have an obstacle there to figure out.
But it does not require iTunes or for her to use a computer...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Dropbox isnt really gonna work - depending on how many DVDs there are, there goes the space.

If you dont want to rip and then sync (through iTunes) the DVDs, then she cant really, easily, get them on a stand-alone iPad.

Depending on how many DVDs there are, and how big her iPad is, you could rip them all, sync them once, and be done with it.

Or, she can watch them on her TV via DVD player.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Dropbox isnt really gonna work - depending on how many DVDs there are, there goes the space.

What is the storage limit for Dropbox? I didn't think about a limit...

Depending on how many DVDs there are, and how big her iPad is, you could rip them all, sync them once, and be done with it.

This is (so far) the best bet, if Grandma's DVDs exceed Dropbox's limit. ...which they probably will. :\

Reaction score
My wife would far prefer to be iPad-only, but I need to sync her iPad periodically to her account on our iMac in order to upload family photo batches for her, and to make a local backup.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.