• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple previews Mountain Lion, next version of Mac OS X

OP
mrplow
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Looks like you can download Messages beta now - without being a developer

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
The most interesting things to me are the integration of Messages and Notes (in particular Notes).
I use Notes a lot on my iPad. Being able to go back and forth and cloud sync without the emailing an cutting and pasting I do now is a big plus.

Reaction score
Apple previews Mountain Lion, next version of Mac OS X

mountainlion21712.jpg

Apple on Thursday released an early preview of Mountain Lion, its next version of Mac OS X, to developers and select publications. The reviews are now hitting the Internet.

The general consensus about Mountain Lion is that it brings some of the best features of iOS like Notification Center, AirPlay mirroring, GameCenter and iMessage into OS X. These features are not tacked-on mobile versions, but fully integrated in a way that works on a desktop operating system. You can check out some of the early reviews at The Loop, Macworld, Engadget, The Verge, Laptop Magazine, CNET, and PC Magazine.

Apple's preview page for Mountain Lion is also live. The next version of Mac OS X is expected to ship this summer and will be available from the Mac App Store. Pricing is not available, but, based on Apple's history, it should be reasonably priced.

Apple previews Mountain Lion, next version of Mac OS X originally appeared on TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog on Thu, 16 Feb 2012 08:47:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

SourceÂ*|Â*PermalinkÂ*|Â*Email thisÂ*|Â*Comments

Read more

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The most interesting things to me are the integration of Messages and Notes (in particular Notes).
I use Notes a lot on my iPad. Being able to go back and forth and cloud sync without the emailing an cutting and pasting I do now is a big plus.
Evernote? ;)

Merged similar threads.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Evernote? ;)

I actually have it on my iPad but have never used it. I have a personal prejudice against programs that require me to set up accounts in order to use them; I already have too many logins and user accounts. :p

Not that I won't, just prefer not to if there are alternatives.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Geez - we're not even finished with the Lion sux threads yet!! :p

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I actually have it on my iPad but have never used it. I have a personal prejudice against programs that require me to set up accounts in order to use them; I already have too many logins and user accounts. :p

Not that I won't, just prefer not to if there are alternatives.

Just for the record - Evernote is the bomb diggety. I understand your logic - but Evernote is worth the exception.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Then let me be the first . . . ;)

I HATE MOUNTAIN LION OS X 10.8 BECAUSE IT TRASHED MY MAC, DELETED ALL MY FILES, SENT INSULTING EMAILS TO MY BOSS AND POSTED EMBARRASING PICTURES ON FACEBOOK . . . etc etc

EDIT: Since you and Van think so highly of EverNote I will give it a try. Thanks

Reaction score
Much of Mountain Lion seems to be related to your iPad and/or iPhone and syncing. Well, I have no iPhone and have no need for one really. I love my Android and have no intention on switching. I'd love an iPad, but I can't afford one at the moment and it'll be a while before i ever get one.

Seems an upgrade to Mountain Lion won't really necessary for someone like me.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I have a personal prejudice against programs that require me to set up accounts in order to use them
Like iCloud? :p

EDIT: Since you and Van think so highly of EverNote I will give it a try. Thanks
It took me a while to get into Evernote but it's grown on me. When you own three devices and use five different operating systems that are all supported by Evernote, it becomes a very attractive option.

EDIT: Whoops, looks like they don't have a Linux client. Goes to show you how often I use Evernote outside of OS X, iOS and Android. ;)

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I remember giving Van my sales pitch on Evernote :)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, and I remember wondering if you were secretly employed by them. I actually remember you being genuinely shocked that I didn't use it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.

EXACTLY what I was just thinking. I'm a bit surprised they are moving this quickly to the next version of OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
EXACTLY what I was just thinking. I'm a bit surprised they are moving this quickly to the next version of OS X.

New features, and hopefully fix content ;)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's hard for me to call this a new version of OS X. All I could think while reading over the feature list and watching Engadget's terribly recorded preview was "all of this could be released through either an update or as downloadable apps through the App Store." Now, to be fair, this is a "pre-developer preview" so I'll save serious critique for later but as it is right now, it looks a lot like Lion with more apps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.