• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple previews Mountain Lion, next version of Mac OS X

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air 11.6,Macbook 13,ipad 1,ipod Classic,iphone 4S
Still using Snow Leopard,as my Macbook air only has 2 gig of DDR3 Memory,so I have not bothered to "upgrade" to Lion yet,as it will run sooo slowly on my device.Will I upgrade to another "Air",later in the year,with more memory.Maybe,but wont lose any sleep waiting for late summer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM
One word. Meh.

Not too excited about this one, although messages could be sort of nice...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
The messages app looks kinda cool. I've used the iPad version before to text/chat with my wife on her iPhone 4. It's nice to have a larger screen to save the strain on the old eyes.

Side note:
Apple has dropped "Mac" from it's OSX software title - no longer "Mac OSX Lion". Now just "OSX Lion".
Does that mean this site will follow suit with the title of the software section?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
EXACTLY what I was just thinking. I'm a bit surprised they are moving this quickly to the next version of OS X.

Shades of Microsoft moving quickly from Vista to Windows 7.... Similar maybe?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Why don't they just release IOSX and get it over with?

I wonder what machines they will cut out this time also? Probably everything I own.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
It's hard for me to call this a new version of OS X. All I could think while reading over the feature list and watching Engadget's terribly recorded preview was "all of this could be released through either an update or as downloadable apps through the App Store." Now, to be fair, this is a "pre-developer preview" so I'll save serious critique for later but as it is right now, it looks a lot like Lion with more apps.

Seems a lot of the early information released on Snow Leopard, and even Lion, was similarly limited also. On the other hand, it may be that Apple is going back to a more or less annual update schedule and charging the $29 each year. It may be that the changes will prove to be relatively incremental, but then 29 bucks is FAR less than what the upgrade pricing was in the past.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Seems a lot of the early information released on Snow Leopard, and even Lion, was similarly limited also. On the other hand, it may be that Apple is going back to a more or less annual update schedule and charging the $29 each year. It may be that the changes will prove to be relatively incremental, but then 29 bucks is FAR less than what the upgrade pricing was in the past.
Agreed and this is why I'm reserving serious judgment for a later date when we get a better sense of what we'll be getting.

For $30, I'll get it to "future proof" my machine but I hope that the $30 I spend goes a little further than a few apps (most of which I won't use).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMAC 3 GHz Intel Core i5, 1TB HD, Radeon Pro 570X 4 GB graphics card, 8 GB DDR4 RAM
How long will Apple continue to support SL?

Tom

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
How long will Apple continue to support SL?

Tom

I was just asking myself that same question. Normally after 2 releases, the older OS is dropped from support. I hope I am wrong.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
According to that, it looks like Lion is as far as my trusty MB will go. Yet another reason to buy a new Mac! ;)

I won't be able to replace the Macbook I just purchased used for maybe 1-2 years. So no ML for me. From what I see I won't miss very much. Only issue is I will no longer be able to help people on MF with their Mountain Lion questions. Oh well!

Maybe I will give Windows 8 Cloud another shot or go back to some Linux distro.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Only issue is I will no longer be able to help people on MF with their Mountain Lion questions. Oh well!
If this preview is anything to go by, they'll be similar enough so you can probably use the same steps you'd use for Lion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" MacBook Air / Unibody MacBook / iMac i3 21.5" / iPhone SE
Well, looks like we're in by the skin of our teeth here, but my MacBook has only just (last week) gone onto Lion and my wife's is still clinging to Snow Leopard.
May buy this but won't upgrade unless we have to.

Cheers :)

Hugh

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
According to that, it looks like Lion is as far as my trusty MB will go. Yet another reason to buy a new Mac! ;)

Me too. It looks like my early 2008 MacBook is on its last OS X update. I suspect it's because of the integrated graphics chipset (Intel GMA X3100) not being robust enough for the "toughness" of the Mountain Feline. :) But my iMac is OK.

Reaction score
Hmm. Put Lion on my Mac mini, stick Mtn. Lion on my MacBook? Or does Mtn. Lion cut support for Intel Core 2 Duo processors? (This would suck).

I'm excited.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
It feels like Lion just came out....

I guess Apple recognized that Lion was a bit of screw up, and are trying to correct it with releasing this "Mountain Lion"

I better pick up a copy of Snow Leopard while I still can. I don't even have a computer that supports it, but I don't want to get stuck with Lion when I do buy an Intel Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
It feels like Lion just came out....

I guess Apple recognized that Lion was a bit of screw up, and are trying to correct it with releasing this "Mountain Lion"

Not necessarily. This still kind of fits into how Apple has been releasing OSs. Lion is not all that "screwed up" as lot of folks think/feel and it has gotten better with the updates by far. This is similar to Leopard and Snow Leopard in many respects.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Not necessarily. This still kind of fits into how Apple has been releasing OSs. Lion is not all that "screwed up" as lot of folks think/feel and it has gotten better with the updates by far.

Yes, I suppose. But compared with other OS X releases, this is definitely one of the "faster" ones.

Lion isn't necessarily "bad" either, but with it's mixed reviews, some saying it's a bit of a step backwards even, I can't help but think Apple is trying to correct it with "Mountain Lion"

I'm also worried about all of this iOS integration. iOS is good on my iPhone, where it belongs. Not running on my desktop Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.