• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple previews Mountain Lion, next version of Mac OS X

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If Apple now allows people still running Snow Leopard to use the Mountain Lion updater app to jump straight from 10.6 to 10.8 that will mean charging them half as much for effectively the same upgrade as people who've already upgraded to 10.7 Lion. That's not fair on those who have already upgraded, and will cut profits for Apple. I really don't think it will be possible (not legally, anyway - it might be possible to extract a complete installer image from the updater app; but I'm sure doing so will be in violation of the licence agreement).

Similar things have already happened in the past. I've been around Macs since the LCII running System 7. If I remember correctly there have been numerous times where users who skipped an upgrade paid one price and users who did not skip an upgrade paid the same price. It might not fit most people's idea of fair but it is what it is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
How would that be any different than people going from Tiger to Snow Leopard?
It wouldn't be, but even then one was supposed to buy a box set that included the Leopard & Snow Leopard upgrade disks at a slightly discounted bundle price...

Similar things have already happened in the past. I've been around Macs since the LCII running System 7. If I remember correctly there have been numerous times where users who skipped an upgrade paid one price and users who did not skip an upgrade paid the same price. It might not fit most people's idea of fair but it is what it is.
Of course, I'm not saying it can't or won't happen, just that I'm sure it will be a complete violation of the EULA, which will doubtless contain a clause that the upgrader app should only be used on Macs already running Lion.

Such are the issues with an "honour" system. Apple's refusal to bog users down with activation & authentication protocols is what allows for certain unscrupulous individuals to go about creating PCs that run OS X (I'll not say the H word, for fear of being auto-banned!); this also leads to the inevitable version skipping as their are easy ways around the intentionally simple few safeguards that are employed in Apple software...

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
No way to know what the EULA will say until the software is released of course. Perhaps someone who remembers the EULA can comment but I don't think previous EULA's prohibited skipping OS versions. Lion may have been the first time in Mac history where one major upgrade version required the previous version.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
No way to know what the EULA will say until the software is released of course. Perhaps someone who remembers the EULA can comment but I don't think previous EULA's prohibited skipping OS versions. Lion may have been the first time in Mac history where one major upgrade version required the previous version.

Anyone who is actually bothered by this should bear in mind that upgrades to OS X used to run $129. Even if a Leopard user wants to upgrade to Mountain Lion, the most it will cost them is $87. And I rather doubt that there are many Leopard users out there who would jump straight to Mountain Lion even if they are able to if they've waffled this long on so much as going to Snow Leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Even though - as far as I know - Apple hasn't said anything official on the issue of creating installation DVDs/USBs from the Install_ESD.dmg file within the Lion upgrade app, in that case having already upgraded to Snow Leopard was necessary so as to have to gotten the Mac App Store in order that one could download the app in the first place; so not having upgraded before wasn't an issue that needed to be addressed.

If Apple now allows people still running Snow Leopard to use the Mountain Lion updater app to jump straight from 10.6 to 10.8 that will mean charging them half as much for effectively the same upgrade as people who've already upgraded to 10.7 Lion. That's not fair on those who have already upgraded, and will cut profits for Apple. I really don't think it will be possible (not legally, anyway - it might be possible to extract a complete installer image from the updater app; but I'm sure doing so will be in violation of the licence agreement).

A) Paying more than you should is simply a fact of life for early adopters. I don't see your "not fair" argument as valid.

B) Apple doesn't make its profits off software. Almost all of Apple's revenue comes from hardware sales. It only sees the software as a tool for selling the hardware. See this? The amount they make on software sales is some fraction of that tiny purple sliver.

As a result, it wouldn't surprise me if Apple made 10.8 a "combo" style update. Then again, they have been known to nickel and dime with things like FaceTime version 1.0 and enabling 802.11n Airport cards, so I wouldn't put it past them to make it more difficult anyway. Fairness and fear of losing substantial revenue won't enter into the decision-making process, though. It'll just boil down to whether they think they can get away with it.

Reaction score
Can't wait until I can imessage from my laptop, it is so much faster typing on a computer!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You can send iMessages from your Mac now (here).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro '15' i7 Quad Core, iPhone 5, iPod (U2), time capsule (2tb), apple tv.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.