• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Help! Movie files missing in iMovie '11!

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I am trying to load my home movie files into iMovie '11. When I go to import, it is taking the time optimize, create bookmarks, etc but then sometimes the file just disappears and doesn't get loaded into my events folder. I did some research on it and it said to go into Library and delete the "com.apple.imovieapp.plist" file (I left the "com.apple.imovieapp.plist.lockfile" file there). After I moved it to trash and emptied the trash, I re-opened iMovie and tried it again. Once again, some (but not all) of the files wouldn't stay saved in my events, and when I went to go back and look at the library director, that dreaded "com.apple.imovieapp.plist" file was back again! Any ideas what I can do? In addition, when I load the movie to my event file, am I required to "optimize." Will it make a difference if I don't?

Thanks!

OP
P
Reaction score
I really need help here, guys and gals! Come on, over 500 people have viewed this thread and nobody has replied :).

The problem is as follows:

- I import movies from my external hard drive into iMovie '11 (I am on Lion).
- Files are optimizing, and show up in my events folder. When the file is done optimizing, it disappears from the events folder.
- I tried deleting the com.apple.imovieapp.plist file, shut down the computer and then restarted iMovie. The file showed up again in the preferences file
- I tried moving the file to my desktop and, once again, it shows up in my preferences file.

Can anyone help? I have 70 hours of home movies that I want to consolidate into a 30 minute home movie for my wife who is about to go into the hospital for a major surgery.

Thanks!!!!

C

chas_m

First of all, a lot of the "views" have probably come from bots and search engine spiders, which obviously can't reply.

iMovie can't operate without the com.apple.imovieapp.plist file. When it's not there it will ALWAYS generate a new one. The advice you got would have helped if something were wrong with that file, but evidently that's not the problem.

As for what IS the problem, how much free disk space do you have?

OP
P
Reaction score
thanks for responding! I don't think it is a space issue as I am trying to save these files to a Seagate 2TB hard drive, of which 1.7TB is still open.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.