Noob probs now that I've switched to iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" 2.5GHz Intel Core i5 4GB OS X Lion 10.7.3
I have switched from "any" Windows laptop to the iMac 21.5" 4GB men 2.5GHz Intel Core i5 - wow this is SOOOO much more computer than I needed but I am keen on learning all that it has to offer. My problems are probably minuscule to you "Lords of the Forums:Mischievous:", but never-the-less are annoying me to no end lol.
First, I don't understand why my Mac keeps logging me off of Safari. Ex: I am on Safari, leave my pc for say 1/2 hr or just am working say within iPhoto (not on internet) and come back to a window in Safari only for it to be blank and the message "network connection lost". So I have to follow the prompts to log back in by first indicating wi-fi and then it finds my ISP which I highlight (I just figured out if I check the box for "remember my keychain" I don't have to re-enter my entire wep-key each time...ok I saw your eyes rolling ;P) it inevitably tells me all is ok (never was a problem etc), so then I hit "quit" from the diagnostics checking window. It then opens up whatever window I was on. Why does this keep doing this???? Have I got to ck a box somewhere??? I appreciate any help I can get. I'll save my other questions for now ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Try changing from WEP to WPA, or WPA2 if you can. I believe there are... issues (other than security ones) with WEP from what I recall.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know how to do that. When I first put on my ISP to connect to the wi-fi all I did was put in my wep-key.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Tell us which router you have and I'll give you info on changing from wep to wpa

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My router is: Inventel Model DV4210-WU Product name Wanadoo-3CE0

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
My router is: Inventel Model DV4210-WU Product name Wanadoo-3CE0

Oh.... sorry, not going to be much help there. That's a heavily customised router from Orange. Depending on the firmware version you may or may not have WPA capability.

you're best calling them direct and asking them if you can and how you update to using WPA rather than WEP

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok thanks, but while you know more than I, how is it the kind of router I have determines that my internet doesn't stay connected? Also, can I ask through this thread, does anyone know how I can sign in to MSN to play their games? I can go on to MSN, games, and play one-player games, but in order to play a multi-player game, I have to sign in, which it doesn't allow me to do. If I'm in my hotmail account and go straight to MSN from there, it doesn't keep me logged in. Is this a matter of having to download Windows? Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.