OSX - NAS drive - PS3 file copying issue

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4GHz i5 4GB RAM 500GB Hard Drive - Love it!
Hi All and thanks in advance for any help you can give.

I have recently switched from an old XP laptop to a MacBook Pro (OSX 10.7.3) and have only really run into one problem.

I use an external NAS drive (Iomega 1TB Home media Drive) to hold most of my media and then generally use a PS3 to play it on my TV. the problem I have is that any files I have transferred since switching to the Mac are unreadable by the PS3 any file will show as anything from 11 - 42mb rather than the full file size.

The files show the correct size when browsing to the drive using finder on the Mac or explorer on the XP machine, from what I can tell there seems to be no issue with the files as they show as correct from every device except the PS3.

Is there a known issue with files from a Mac being read on the PS3.

I am at a loss, I have found some of the same kind of issues about but no solutions.

Any Help Will be Gratefully Received.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What format are the files in? FAT-32? NTFS? HFS? And, what file systems can the PS3 recognize? It sounds like there may a file incompatibility between the NAS and the PS3.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4GHz i5 4GB RAM 500GB Hard Drive - Love it!
What format are the files in? FAT-32? NTFS? HFS? And, what file systems can the PS3 recognize? It sounds like there may a file incompatibility between the NAS and the PS3.
As far as I know it is all in FAT - 32, Fat - 32 is recognised by the PS3 - I have had a look at that already as a few other forums pointed me in that direction.

All of the files that were previously copied to the drive from my old XP machine play fine. Very Bazaar and mildly infuriating...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The reason I asked about the file format is it seems strange that a 1 TB NAS should be formatted to FAT-32 rather than NTFS. A drive that size would waste around 15% of its usable space due to the cluster slack imposed by FAT-32.

But if you're positive the NAS is using FAT-32, I'm at a loss as to why your PS3 can not read the files correctly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.