Mac might have been hacked

Reaction score
Hey everyone! Looking to see if someone could help me out. I have a Macbook Pro that is hooked up to an unsecured wireless network and, unbeknownst to me until just now, the firewall off. ya... :Sleeping: SMH. So last night I realized that I was no longer able to go back or forward in my web browser (Firefox) plus all my bookmarks were missing, as well as my computer history. Also, curtain documents would not open (word, pages ect.). Freaking out I had a virus, I dug through my settings and realized my firewall was off, I turned it on and immediately everything started working normally again; bookmarks back, history back, back and forward functioning and documents opening. Have I been hacked, and if so what is the extent they could have had access to? I don't know ANYTHING about this...:'(

OP
C
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Looking to see if someone could help me out. I have a Macbook Pro that is hooked up to an unsecured wireless network and, unbeknownst to me until just now, the firewall off. ya... :Sleeping: SMH. So last night I realized that I was no longer able to go back or forward in my web browser (Firefox) plus all my bookmarks were missing, as well as my computer history. Also, curtain documents would not open (word, pages ect.). Freaking out I had a virus, I dug through my settings and realized my firewall was off, I turned it on and immediately everything started working normally again; bookmarks back, history back, back and forward functioning and documents opening. Have I been hacked, and if so what is the extent they could have had access to? I don't know ANYTHING about this...:'(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I rather doubt you were actually hacked, though it's possible someone was saturating your connection trying to hack you, which could explain why things weren't working until you "went dark". Whether you actually were hacked or not ultimately is purely speculative, as would be the extent of anything they had access to.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
And please do not cross post. Only post your question to one forum and continue the thread in the same forum. Your cross post has been merged here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" Intel i5 4GB RAM. Intel P4 w/ HT @ 3.0GHz 4GB RAM Debian GNU/Linux
That's the reason why I have a 63 long WPA2 pass key with the hardware firewall on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.