Virus threat

Reaction score
I have a cable modem connected to Time Machine, with the Time Machine being the router for my three mac computers. I allow my neighbor to access my wireless network, she is running a Dell PC. Does this represent a virus threat passing through the router to my apple machines? If so, what precautionary steps should be taken?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
You can easily set up a "Guest" network and disallow communication to your main network. I have my router set up that way and when people come over, they get onto the Guest network and have access to the internet, but have no access to any other device connected to my main network.

Besides, Windows Viruses do not run on OSX.

Also, depending on where you are, allowing others to tap into your connection is technically against the terms of service of nearly every single provider on the planet. You may want to keep that on the DL.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
And adding to what Deckyon has said, you are also eating into your monthly cap by alowing her to use your connection, presumably for free, and when you hit the cap you're going to get shut down, do it often enough (with Comcast) and they might require you to get into a more beefier plan to continue to have access..

By sharing your Internet connection with someone outside of your household you are actually acting as a mini ISP that's forbidden by most, if not all, ISP TOS..

OP
U
Reaction score
Considering that they do their computing at work, I don't think they are looking for someone who checks their email a couple of times on the weekend. Thanks for the concern anyway.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.