OS 10.6 - Driver for TRENDnet TEW-644UB Wireless USB Adapter

Reaction score
I'm having issues finding a driver that will work correctly with my laptop. The driver I am using now is from RALink which makes the chipset. I had less luck with the driver Trendnet provides on their website. I can pull an IP and get on the network, but the Mac is recognizing the wireless adapter as a wired adapter. This means I cannot mange the wireless connection with the Mac itself. I have to use the bundled software that came with the driver. Also the connection through the wireless NIC is sub-par, which I am guessing has to do with the device not being recognized correctly.

Any driver recommendations or tips for changing the recognized adapter type would be greatly appreciated.

OP
X
Reaction score
I got off the phone with TrendNet a while ago. They said their adapter will only work with their bundled software. It looks like I'm stuck with that... unless there's some sort of workaround.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Not to be discouraging xelpmoc, but have never got a USB wireless adapter to work with a Mac yet, from G4's through to Mac Pros. Simply no drivers available. From memory, Realtek did offer a driver but up to Tiger OS X.4 only.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.