How to eprint from iMac 21.5" to HP Printer

GFK

Reaction score
How do I eprint from iMac 2011 21.5" to HP Photosmart 310 printer? I phoned Apple support and they did not know and referred me to HP which sendt me from one department to another. Please help. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hi GFK,

I'm not sure that it's meant to work that way. I have an HP Photosmart Premium C310 and have only managed to eprint from an iOS device..my iPhone...when out of the house. You effectively send the print job to the printer's web address.

I'll have a closer look though.

OP
G

GFK

Reaction score
Hi GFK,

I'm not sure that it's meant to work that way. I have an HP Photosmart Premium C310 and have only managed to eprint from an iOS device..my iPhone...when out of the house. You effectively send the print job to the printer's web address.

I'll have a closer look though.

Thanks for your response. I managed to make it print a test page but when I tried printing a Word doc it said the printer was busy. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've had a closer look.

In the HP Utility>Printer Settings>Additional Settings is an option to open the embedded web server.

Under Network>Advanced Settings>Internet Printing Protocol there are some info panes where I presume that you can input locations and that kind of thing.

Mine have zeros in by default.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your response. I managed to make it print a test page but when I tried printing a Word doc it said the printer was busy. Any ideas?

What are you printing from?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am printing from the iMac.

Ok,

When you set up your printer there was an option to allocate an email address to the printer. I recall mine was an HP specific address. It is this that you choose and in theory should you be able to print remotely to your eprinter as long as you send the document you want to print to the specific emaill address and the printer is connected to the internet.

Under normal circumstances you would print wirelessly from your iMac to the printer on the Wireless Area Network at home, which I guess is what you are doing at the moment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I think the OP is confused. "ePrint" is a service for printing to your printer from anywhere outside of the house. Like on vacation and you want to print your iPhone photos so they're waiting for you when you get home. You sign up on HP's website and that creates a unique "email address" of sorts, specific only to your computer. Your print jobs are sent to that email (your printer) and that's how you print from outside of your home network.

If all you want to do is print from your iMac at home on the same network, follow the setup/install directions that came with your printer. It may vary, depending on what printer you have and what OSX you're running. If you have Lion, there aren't any install discs available for the HP printers (at least not the one I have) and you just go through System Preferences>Print & Scan> Add a printer. It could require a little finagling and you will likely need to update drivers on your Mac once it recognizes the printer. Do that through System Update on your iMac. HP hasn't made this smooth or easy, but it is doable.

OP
G

GFK

Reaction score
"If you have Lion, there aren't any install discs available for the HP printers (at least not the one I have) and you just go through System Preferences>Print & Scan> Add a printer. It could require a little finagling and you will likely need to update drivers on your Mac once it recognizes the printer. Do that through System Update on your iMac. HP hasn't made this smooth or easy, but it is doable"

I have all done the above, eventually, through Wi Fi, but I still get a message on the iMac that the printer is busy, although it printed the test page perfectly. Must be a small tweak, just don't know what it is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Can you provide any screen shots of your printer settings? I'm using the same printer as you on my 2008 MBP with OSX 10.7.3 I originally set it up with a driver that is intended for Air Print (iOS devices). I noticed recently that the Air Print driver is no longer an option and if you are not using that specific driver, it could explain your problem. I think this is something that HP needs to eventually resolve by providing a proper Lion driver.

What is the exact printer-is-busy error message that you get? What happens when you try to print?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
GFK,
The keys for doing a screen shot are cmd + shift + 4 then drag the cursor across the info pane with the busy message in it and release. Then attach this to your post using the forum tools.

MymacRox, we are in agreement here but your use of the word 'finagling' earns you the 'Word of the Week' award.:D

OP
G

GFK

Reaction score
Thanks for responses. I am away for a few days and will post a response to MYmacROX and Pendlewitch on my return, in the meantime the iMac is printing perfectly via a long usb cable. After all the shenanigans I tend to agree that its a missing HP driver update for Lion, but knowing HP, I am not holding my breath.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.