• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Organizing Sales and Trades

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
I have several pieces of electronic equipment which I have posted on several internet classifieds too sell. I've just gotten a couple offers that I intend to accept, but I needed some help.

How do I go about making sure I don't get screwed. What is the etiquette for internet sales? Do I ship first and wait for payment, or vice versa? In other words, how do I get my money?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac Dual G4 1.25 Ghz
rs2sensen said:
I have several pieces of electronic equipment which I have posted on several internet classifieds too sell. I've just gotten a couple offers that I intend to accept, but I needed some help.

How do I go about making sure I don't get screwed. What is the etiquette for internet sales? Do I ship first and wait for payment, or vice versa? In other words, how do I get my money?

If you are trading online, you should absolutely be using a legitimate feedback system, such as heatware.com. Also, you should trade the items in a well-visited and well-moderated forums. I would suggest the For Sale / For Trade sections at http://forums.anandtech.com and http://hardforum.com. Both of these forums have rules to protect both you and the seller. Please make sure that you read them and follow them to keep things safe and fun for everyone.

Also, the trollhunters are a group of individuals that help people caught up in bad trades. Their website has great suggestions for being safe when buying and selling online. http://www.trollhunters.com.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.1
Try and use paypal. I got screwed out of my money and paypal totally refunded it for me. You can use paypal for any sort of money transfer it doesn't have to be ebay.

Wait to get all your money before you post anything! If the buyer sends cheque then wait for it to clear even if this means waiting 5 working days or whatever for it. Clearly state in your adverts that you're going to wait for money to be transferred before anything is sent. If they choose a slow method then thats there problem don't make it yours. Don't send stuff first. It leaves you very vulnerable.

Even if the sites that you post on look good it only take one waster to screw you so my advise to you is to be very very careful and cautious about this. If something sounds just not quite right then it’s probably not so just walk away.

P

Pizza God

This is the biggest problem. When I was on eBay, it was always payment first-either PayPal or by mail, and then it was Postal Money Orders only. If you are doing a swap, what I've done is agreed to send the stuff out at the same time and then we call from the post office with tracking info.

Nothing beats having somebody hand you cash, although if you don't care to meet people or on a tight schedule this is not a good alternative.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.