Disk space discrepancy... Disk is full but shouldn't be?

Reaction score
One of my internal hard drives (not my startup disk) is used just for music. It's a 500 GB drive with a 250 GB partition for music. Disk Utility says 249.58 GB are used. However, when I open the drive and "Get Info" on the only folder in the root (iTunes) it says only 120.79 GB are used. What's going on? I'm stumped...

From what I can tell, there are no duplicate songs. I've erased free space and also tried repairing the disk and it was fine. I'm on an early 2008 Mac Pro running Lion.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OP
J
Reaction score
Cool app, but it still shows a discrepancy

MUSIC-size.jpg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you sure there is only one iTunes library on the drive? Check the Music folder under your User name and see if you have a listing for "previous iTunes library" or possibly any other duplicate libraries. I've run into that before and it will double the space used if you're not aware of it. Also, only the main iTunes library will show up as "music".

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.