Erasing Macbook for re-sale

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I was aghast to find my Macbook Pro (purchased Novemeber 2011) didn't come with a start-up disk for OS X Lion. Checking the net, it seems as though you need the disk in order to erase the hard drive.

However I've deleted everything manually, erased the trash, applications, web history, reset safari, ensured no data is stored on websites and all that. I also deleted my admin account and created a new Administrator account.

But then I discovered Disk Utility is already present without the disk, so I ran the erase hard-drive option 7x.

Is this 'enough'? By enough, I mean for re-sale to anybody who isn't a prodigious hacker. Or should I go to the apple store and use a disk?

Help would be much appreciated

James

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is this 'enough'? By enough, I mean for re-sale to anybody who isn't a prodigious hacker. Or should I go to the apple store and use a disk?

Boot back to the Recovery Partition and run Disk Utility again to erase once more, only this time select secure erase three passes. Don't select any higher number than that or you'll be erasing the disk for several days. That will ensure not even a clever hacker can undelete any of your personal data unless he works for the FBI or NSA. :)

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks guys. cwa107, that thread looks as though it is giving advice to people with the original start-up disk, which I'm lacking. I guess my question is that, by using the disk utility function to erase all the free space, am I covering myself adequately despite having no start-up disk?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.