HELP! w/ INSTALLING GIMPSHOP ON MACBOOK PRO OS X

Reaction score
I am incredibly confused, I never had these issues when I had my pc but now this is just so confusing, so I need some help. How do I get gimpshop on my macbook pro? I need to get it on here really bad. I have a macbook pro laptop os x version: 10.7.2 and I don't know the difference between lion, snowlepard or all the other feline names for certain softwares, what's the difference in all this stuff? Also i know i need windows whatever under the name x11 on my macbook pro first but i don't know if its already installed on here already or if i need to buy some sort of cd thats x11 or what before i can get gimp, soooo help me out here and what do i need to do. is there a free version of x11 that will work on my macbook pro if its usually expensive?? help!!!! :Shouting:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2011 mac Mini, 2.3 GHz core i5, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Sierra, Retina display iPad, Iphone 5S
OSX 10.7.2 is Lion. Looking at the web site for gimpshop, from the "Download" section there is a link to X11. I would imagine that it goes to download and install the X11 Window framework. Without the X11 framework, Gimpshop will not start. Once completed, Download gimpshop and install. X11 and Gimpshop are free.

Bill

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Gimpshop? What is this? :p

i think you are getting GIMP and Photoshop mixed up.

GIMP would be the open source, free photo manipulation program.

Photoshop would be the rather expensive Adobe photo manipulation program.

X11 should be installed by default, and to install GIMP you need to go to this site, and download the installer package. after it downloads, it should be a couple of clicks.

GIMP on OS X

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2011 mac Mini, 2.3 GHz core i5, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Sierra, Retina display iPad, Iphone 5S
Gimp Shop is a modified version of Gimp to give the look and feel of Photoshop. X11 DOES install by default when installing Gimp but the OP requested Gimpshop. See gimpshop.com

Bill

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Gimp Shop is a modified version of Gimp to give the look and feel of Photoshop. X11 DOES install by default when installing Gimp but the OP requested Gimpshop. See gimpshop.com

Bill

you learn something new every day Bill, I wasn't aware of this modification but its certainly a good idea. I wouldnt call GIMP easy to use, however, like they state on their website ;)

have some rep.

OP, if you click on the Apple icon in your top left corner, then click "About this Mac", you will find out what OS version you are running.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" MacBook Air / Unibody MacBook / iMac i3 21.5" / iPhone SE
Thanks Bill, will give Gimpshop a go myself :)

Rep + to you

Cheers :)

Hugh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" MacBook Air / Unibody MacBook / iMac i3 21.5" / iPhone SE
I have just tried Gimpshop, and unfortunately it won't start in Lion. Looking around the net it seems that is only compatible up to Tiger as development ceased in 2006.
I would therefore recommend to the OP to try Gimp as mentioned above.

Cheers :)

Hugh

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.