Using Time Capsule for Boot Camp partition

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.4 GHz 4GB RAM 250GB HD
I recently purchased a new Time Capsule with 2TB hard drive. A few days ago I thought, "What a great way for me to have plenty of space on a Windows partition-- I'll just install it on my Time Capsule." Unfortunately, as the "Data" folder in my Time Capsule is not a drive, I cannot partition it, and therefore, cannot use Boot Camp on it. All of the solutions I have seen for people with similar issues haven't worked AT ALL.

Someone suggested using Winclone to move a partition from my internal Mac HD to my Time Capsule, but that hasn't worked either.

Even using Boot Camp on Mac HD doesn't work.
I get this error:
"The disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved"
Then it says some crap about backup and restoring it because it's not "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)", which is not true at all, because it is "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)", as it clearly states in Disk Utility.

ANY help would be appreciated!

Specs-
MacBook Pro 13"
Mid 2010
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB RAM
OS X 10.7 "Lion" :(
250 GB TOSHIBA MK2555GSXF Hard drive

Also nice proxy-blocker, Mac-Forums!
I had to disable mine when signing up.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can not install Windows on an external drive - whether it be a TC or an ordinary USB hard drive. It's an anti-piracy prevention implemented by Microsoft. There may be work arounds but any work around would be in violation of the MS EULA.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'm not sure about this for sure but here's what I think may be happening. I don't remember when this came about but I think the current edition of Boot Camp requires Windows 7. Are you by chance installing XP. Also, if I remember correctly previous Windows versions would not install on external drives. I don't think that has changed with Windows 7.

Reaction score
The error on the Mac HD means that your disk is fragmented and there's not enough contiguous space for a Windows install. You will either need to defragment your hard drive (using a third party program like iDefrag) or reinstall OSX and then do the Boot Camp partition. There are a lot of posts on the subject of that particular error.

Cheers.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am attempting to install Windows 7. I'm downloading iDefrag now, so I will let you know if that works... fingers crossed...
Hopefully I can find a way to bypass the anti-hacker fail-safe stupid Windows 7 thing.

Thanks for your help!

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.