Os 10.4.11

Reaction score
Hello, I'm completely new to this and need some advice please.
i need to update my macbook from tiger to snow leopard so i can get my downloads from itunes etc, I have backed up my macbook to an external hard drive using carbon copy cloner, would it be better to erase tiger and do a clean install of snow leopard and can i just use the installation disc without having to buy the full box set ( which i can't afford anyway)

i have never attempted anything like this before so I am a bit apprehensive about it all, any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Hello, I'm completely new to this and need some advice please.
i need to update my macbook from tiger to snow leopard so i can get my downloads from itunes etc, I have backed up my macbook to an external hard drive using carbon copy cloner, would it be better to erase tiger and do a clean install of snow leopard and can i just use the installation disc without having to buy the full box set ( which i can't afford anyway)

i have never attempted anything like this before so I am a bit apprehensive about it all, any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Some basic info for you to read at this link
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os...49-what-os-disk-do-i-need-brief-overview.html

As far as the install, no reason to erase first unless you really want to. And, assuming you meet the minimum hardware specs, all you need is the $29 USD Snow Leopard Retail OS disk from the Apple Store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
You might like to consider doing it this way.

Install Snow Leopard on top of Tiger on your External drive. That way you can play with it, update it to 10.6.8(because that probably won't be the version on the disc), update any printer drivers and applications. All the time, you've still got a fully functional computer should you run in to any problems.

When you're happy, just clone the external drive back to your Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.