• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Optimizing Video in iMovie '11

Reaction score
Hi there!

This is my first time using iMovie. I am optimizing a ton of video from my external hard drive, but the problem exists when it is completed, it is putting in its own hierarchy. As an example, I am grouping all of my home movies by year. So when I optimized 2002 (about 8GB), it put it in a 2012 folder (that I didn't create). When I optimized 2003, it put it in a 2011 folder (again, which I did not create). First of all, does anyone know how I can get rid of the year hierarchies? Secondly, is there a way for me to move the movies so that they are in ONE hierachy of folders? Thanks!

C

chas_m

Why are you bothering to micromanage your footage? Isn't that what you bought a computer to do?

It's putting it in 2012 because you have opened a new project in ... <looks at calendar> 2012. Projects and footage are two separate things. Pay no attention to iMovie's visual hierarchy of folders. Change the name of the project to add "2002" to the name if it bothers you.

The important thing is that iMovie can find the footage and you can work on the project and output as desired. You're quite free to file the footage anyway you like, but naturally iMovie is going to think it's a 2012 project if in fact you're working on it in 2012. Don't worry about it, and unless you want to mess up the work you've done I'd seriously leave the iMovie project hierarchy alone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
2nd ^^^ There is only so much tinkering your going to do with the hierarchy process...As Chas mentions...just rename the Events/Projects to whatever you want and include the year in the title...

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks for your feedback.... I guess it is just the anal CPA in me that wants things organized correctly! Another question.... when I am importing movies, I am selecting a folder that has 4 different 2GB files. WHen I just select the folder to upload (thinking that it will select ALL of the files), it just seems to select one or two of them. Am I not able to select a folder to optimize or do I need to do the files one at a time. Thanks.... I am new at this, so bear with me...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.