Weird buzzing alarm sound from my earbuds?

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right section to post it in. This happened yesterday when I was taking my earbuds off and I got zapped by static electricity. When I was going to put them back on I heard this frequent and loud buzzing sound coming out from them. When I unplugged it from my Mac mini the audio from the internal speakers work fine but when it plug it in, it begins buzzing. I don't think it's the earbuds problem as I switched to another one and it still buzzes. The right earbud is nothing but buzzing while the left one the buzzing is slightly fainter but the audio is constantly interrupted. So I don't know what's wrong. Can any of you help? Thanks in advanced.

Oh and they're not apple earbuds either.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is your Mac Mini still under warranty or extended Apple care? If it is, you might want to take it on in and have it checked. The static zap may have caused a problem with the audio output from the headphones jack. That's a separate circuit from the speakers.

OP
L
Reaction score
Is your Mac Mini still under warranty or extended Apple care? If it is, you might want to take it on in and have it checked. The static zap may have caused a problem with the audio output from the headphones jack. That's a separate circuit from the speakers.
I don't the warranty info and I didn't get the extended Apple care. My father wasn't gonna spend the extra money for my new computer.

Reaction score
Not sure about the static shock. But ive found the screening on my imac isnt great and is always running interference on speakers or headphones. The noises fit your descriptions of buzzing and other highly irritating things.

Reaction score
I think that the Mac may have put a surge through the headphones and have now damaged the buds. I also think that apple could be quite reasonable to sort this out for a you as it's a risk (getting shocked) and shouldn't happen. Go down to your local apple store and make a fuss (thats what i did when my battery blew on my old apple mac, and they replaced it, no worries)
As for the headphones, perhaps suggest that they are broken also, perhaps they will replace them, if not I suggest Ebay or sometimes you might get lucky with a Groupon as i did with headphones.
It's annoying when things like this happen, I feel your pain buddy :Not-Amused:

OP
L
Reaction score
I think that the Mac may have put a surge through the headphones and have now damaged the buds. I also think that apple could be quite reasonable to sort this out for a you as it's a risk (getting shocked) and shouldn't happen. Go down to your local apple store and make a fuss (thats what i did when my battery blew on my old apple mac, and they replaced it, no worries)
As for the headphones, perhaps suggest that they are broken also, perhaps they will replace them, if not I suggest Ebay or sometimes you might get lucky with a Groupon as i did with headphones.
It's annoying when things like this happen, I feel your pain buddy :Not-Amused:

I'll try the apple store thing, but I think it may be the computer's problem as the headphones work just fine. I've tried it on my father's iPad. If it is the computer's problem, should I save everything into a thumbdrive just in case or no?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.