ibook G4 trackpads are not working properly

N

ninatim

Anyone who has bought or is thinking of buying a new ibook G4 - be aware that there are known issues with the trackpad randomly hanging and sometimes not working at all upon startup. I have been forced to use a USB mouse to make sure I can get the cursor to move. if you check out the discussion boards at Apple's website you will see that many people have posted about the same problems, which include:

1. the trackpad hangs for varying amounts of times at random intervals.
2. The trackpad sometimes is frozen in the upper left corner at strartup, and multiple restarts does not correct the problem.
3. The cursor sometimes gets "hyper-sensitive" and starts jumping around the screen uncontollably.

I tried reinstalling Panther which lessened the problem temporarily, but they have ll come back.

If anyone else is having problems please post, so that Apple will do something about it.

Thanks!

OP
S

shadov

Dunno if this helps, but try it and tell the rest of us if it worked.
http://www.lowendmac.com/pb2/ibook14-900.html

here is an incompatibility between the Kensington Startup ADB extension and the Trackpad control on the iBook with Mac OS 9.0.4. Symptom: trackpad responds during boot, but not later. Solution: disable Kensington Startup ADB extension. This may also apply to other USB portables and versions of the Mac OS.

OP
N

ninatim

Spent 1&1/2 hours on phone with Apple tech support today

Hello,

I spent 1.5 hours today on the phone with Apple'e tech support. We ran through many tests which show that the problem is not Panther believe it or not. It appears now to be a firmware or defective hardware thing, and I am sending the ibook to Apple's engineering dept. for them to look at. In return I am getting a new ibook, and they tell me that in actuality this problem is affecting a small percentage of the new ibooks. Hopefully that is true. I do have a friend that just got one that is not experienceing the problems I am having. So I will keep my fingers crossed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
at least they are sedning you a brand new one. its always nice to have something that is new even if its the exact same thing that you already had just teh faft that its new is cool

OP
N

ninatim

Yes, and I just want to pass on to other people having problems. it looks like it will be MUCH easier to replace rather than repair.

- Tim

OP
T

toothfish

Has this been resolved? I am experiencing the same problem. I may be mistaken, but it only seems to happen when I have airprt turned on-- I keep it off at home and only turn it on when I'm out, which is when I notice the problem.

OP
N

ninatim

toothfish said:
Oh. can someone post a link to the discussion at apple?

Hello,

My problem was resoved bt returning the defective ibook & getting one that has had 0 problems (knock on wood). Also, Apple is very aware of the problem - there are a few posts at their website, and if you call them and report the problem they will walk you through some troubleshooting steps - good luck!

OP
L

lovemycoffee

I am in the process of buying an iBook, but plan on using a mouse with it, since I hate trackpads....will the mouse cause a problem?

OP
A

AC_340

Our school started a laptop project just before Christmas involving 120 G4 iBooks. The trackpad failure rate is close to 40% at this stage. (Defective trackpads are being replaced free of charge). Nonetheless, the iBook and OS 10.3 are fine products and I'm glad we chose Apple.

p.s. USB mouse usage is not affected by the trackpad problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook Intel 2GHZ CD, 2GB RAM
ninatim said:
Hello,

I spent 1.5 hours today on the phone with Apple'e tech support. We ran through many tests which show that the problem is not Panther believe it or not. It appears now to be a firmware or defective hardware thing, and I am sending the ibook to Apple's engineering dept. for them to look at. In return I am getting a new ibook, and they tell me that in actuality this problem is affecting a small percentage of the new ibooks. Hopefully that is true. I do have a friend that just got one that is not experienceing the problems I am having. So I will keep my fingers crossed.

I called Apple about my trackpad since I was having problems and they never said anything about sending me a new one. They sent me a box and want me to send my iBook to them so they can repair it. I have Applecare.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.