My Firefox/Google Chrome are both acting weird

Reaction score
One day I opened my firefox and it randomly crashed. When I try to open it it shows me the page like it just did an update but all of the font is replaced with tiny rectangles and it immediately crashes before I can surf. I tried doing a clean reinstall and I tried opening it in Safe Mode. It still crashes the same way.

Originally I tried just giving up on it and using my Google Chrome, which works well for the most part. but certain websites and fonts show up as weird scribbles (reddit specifically but there are others too).

It looks like this:

tumblr_lzcar4eu1H1qja3g1o1_500.jpg

Now I think its either a problem with my system fonts (which I know nothing about) or maybe I have a virus or something. Any tips?

I'm using version 10.5.8 OS X

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It's possible that you have some corrupt fonts. Open up Font Book, click "All Fonts", select them all and go to File > Validate Fonts. Let us know what you get as output for that.

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply,

326 fonts passed

No minor or serious issues.

I think according to this all the fonts are okay

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
What do you have set for the fonts in Chrome: Chrome > Preferences > Under the Hood > Web Content? (sorry, I'm running the dev version and the preference page has been redesigned).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
Good job this is largely a US forum, or your username might raise some eyebrows. :Confused:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.