Trying to set up ePrint on HP CP1020nw... IP address just coming up as 0.0.0.0?

Reaction score
Hi everyone! So new HP Laserjet (CP1020nw) came the other day and I'm trying to set it up.

Found on network fine, prints configuration sheet fine, these are the steps HP says to follow to setup the ePrint feature (where you can email files to a specific email address you setup for your printer and it will print those files)...

LaserJet Printers

Print a configuration page from your product, and locate the IP address.

At your computer, open a Web browser and type the product IP address into the address line. The HP Embedded Web Server opens.

Click the HP Web Services tab.

Click the Print Information Sheet button.

However the IP address on the configuration sheet just comes up as a local 0.0.0.0? I know I'm doing something basic wrong I just don't know what! Anyone care to point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance :D

Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
How is it connected? cable or wifi?
Connected to a router or a hub/Mac/PC
Can you print to it normally?

If you log into your router can you see the printer as an attached device?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
On your Mac, go into System Preferences and click on Network. At the top right, it should tell you that you're connected, what method you're connected with, and what your IP address is. If it does not show up there, click on the Advanced button and go to the DNS tab. Your IP address will be there too.

OP
T
Reaction score
It's connected wirelessly and shows up as such, but HP utility helpfully says...

'HP Utility cannot work with devices connected to Airport
Please connect device directly to your Mac to work with it.'

But if I connect via wire to get the HP utility to work the IP shows up as 0.0.0.0.

There are various help pages on the HP site in regard to using Airports etc. Here's one bit of advice but the headers/navigation route they mention are different on my Airport...

'To add your printer as a wireless client on your network:
Open a Finder window and go to the Applications / Utilities folder.
Open Airport Utility.
Select your wireless router.
Click Manual Setup.
From the Base Station menu on the menu bar, choose Add Wireless Clients.
In the sheet that appears, select First attempt, then click Continue.
Start the WPS process from the control panel of your printer.
See your manual for specific instructions.'

Once I get to Base Station there's no Add Wireless Clients option, that I can see anyway. I'm on version 6 of the Airport Utility.

Thanks for the reply! :)

OP
T
Reaction score
In my System Prefs > Network it has my ethernet connection (my iMac is ethernet connected) IP address and my Wi-Fi one XX.X.X.2 and XX.X.X.3 respectively. Will the printer IP just be the wireless one then? I thought it would have it's own specific one so as not to conflict with any other wireless devices / computers connecting via wi-fi? Or am I just making things up?!

OP
T
Reaction score
Sorry re the spec's! Rule 1!!

iMac - 21.5inch (late 2009)
Processor - 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Graphics - NVIDIA GeForce 9400 356 MB
Running Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3 (11D50)
Being operated by a short hairy guy called Mark.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
On your Mac, go into System Preferences and click on Network. At the top right, it should tell you that you're connected, what method you're connected with, and what your IP address is. If it does not show up there, click on the Advanced button and go to the DNS tab. Your IP address will be there too.

That'll just give the Mac IP, not the printer afaik

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry can we just start again.

Is your printer connected to your router? Or is it connected to your Mac?

It needs to connected to the router.

What sort of router do you have?

OP
T
Reaction score
That'll just give the Mac IP, not the printer afaik

Sorry can we just start again.

Is your printer connected to your router? Or is it connected to your Mac?

It needs to connected to the router.

What sort of router do you have?

The printer isn't physically connected to anything. Do I have to have a wireless printer connected via wire to router/iMac all the time then? Just tried to do a test print (with initial setup wire disconnected) and it's saying not connected... when I was running the downloaded install software (the on disk stuff was out of date/wouldn't run) it was through the airport not straight into the iMac.

I have an Airport running Version 6.0 of the software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't mean connected physically so much as how is it connected to the network.

Is it connected wirelessly to the router or is it connected wirelessly to your Mac?

The airport utility version is a red herring, it's nothing to do with this.

Ok. This is how it should be:
You connect the printer directly to your Mac with a USB cable, run the setup software during which you will run through the network setup, detect your wireless network and enter the password. Once configured the USB cable can be disconnected.

Your printer is now connected wirelessly to the network via the router (it'd still help to know which router you have).

If you've connected to the wireless network correctly the config sheet that prints will have the printers IP address on it.

However, you can log into the router and find out what the IP address is but that's assuming you've connected to the wireless network correctly in the first place.

OP
T
Reaction score
The printer is connected wireless through my Airport (router) it says so when you go into System Prefs.

I have done what you have said and I'm getting the issues I've highlighted. It doesn't ask for my network settings though just some guff about proxy servers, but that's doing it through the router. I'll delete the printer again tomorrow am and run the install software with the printer wired direct to my Mac and see how that goes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So do you have an airport extreme router?

It sounds as though you've connected to your mac directly rather than connecting to the router.

That would explain the lack of IP and the proxy server request in the setup.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Would have come back yesterday but I think the forum was down.

I wasn't connected directly with the Mac, it seems to be a good old issue to do with their driver compatibility. I'm dealing with HP direct who are meant to be calling me back today with a proper fix. We had it working with an IP address but it was then crashing and dropping the IP address etc.

Fingers crossed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They may ask you to update the printer firmware on the printer itself.

But don't let them fob you off with drivers for your Mac, those print drivers have no bearing on the printer being issued an IP address by your router - there are no user installable drivers between a router (still don't know which one.....) and your network printer.

But luck anyway. Post back with your results.

OP
T
Reaction score
Firmware already updated.

The router is an Airport (Extreme), which to be fair I've mentioned once or twice already! ; )
HP Utility cannot work with devices connected to Airport
There are various help pages on the HP site in regard to using Airports etc. Here's one bit of advice but the headers/navigation route they mention are different on my Airport...
The printer is connected wireless through my Airport (router)

I think the HP guy is concerned about the drivers compatibility making the printer drop the IP address that gets issued. He's not even asked what router I have, so hopefully it's not relevant!

Thanks for the replies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
to be fair the wireless on the Express, Extreme, Time Capsule, iMac, MacBook etc etc are all referred to as 'Airport' - it's Apple's naming convention for wifi capable devices. You never mentioned it was an Airport Extreme Router. Your iMac has an 'airport' too you see..... which is why I suspected you were making an ad-hoc connection to your Mac.

It's the router that issues the IP address to the printer. Those printers work perfectly fine Airport Extremes so it's likely an IP conflict/router config/printer config issue. But either way hopefully HP support can resolve it for you

OP
T
Reaction score
Yeah sorry I didn't mention extreme. I've never heard of Time Capsule, iMacs or MacBooks etc referred to as Airports or I'd have clarified. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.