ibook g4 boots to darwin

Reaction score
I have ibook g4 14 inch 1.33ghz model. The ibook keyboard is not working so I am currently using a pc usb keyboard. After a fresh Tiger install I installed the latest java and security upgrades. On restart everthing appeared to be loading ok, start up chime, wheel, blue screen, loading bar then suddenly black screen with darwin asking for login and password. I have tried booting from the install disk. Hold down c key when starting but I just go back to darwin.

I can hear the install disk spinning but it doesn’t load.

This could be because the hard disk is fried and I suspect it is, because it is the original and before this happened I was getting lots of slowdowns and freezes. I have a hard disk with firewire. The problem is I can’t get out of darwin so is there I way I can use darwin to boot up from the install cd and install the os onto the firewire hd. Then boot up from that.

OP
K
Reaction score
It seems that from the lack of response my ibook must be dead.:'(

One thing i missed in my post. When it boots to darwin it asks for my login and password which I do but the few commands I have gleaned from the internet have not effect.

Anyway thanks for the help.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
With the install CD in the drive try holding down the OPTION key after the startup sound and keep it down till the boot menu pops up. If the CD shows click on it and on the arrow.

Let us know if that helps.

Since you are using a PC keyboard, that might be part of the issue although C should work. I believe Option is the Alt key on the PC keyboard.

OP
K
Reaction score
I have tried that. I also tried holding down the c to boot from the cd. Also tried holding down the ctrl, alt.p,r key on start up and the result is the same DARWIN.

Anyway it seems I have posted this in the wrong forum and it should be in the os forum so I will repost it there.

OP
K
Reaction score
I have ibook g4 14 inch 1.33ghz model. The ibook keyboard is not working so I am currently using a pc usb keyboard. After a fresh Tiger install I installed the latest java and security upgrades. On restart everthing appeared to be loading ok, start up chime, wheel, blue screen, loading bar then suddenly black screen with darwin asking for login and password. I have tried booting from the install disk. Hold down c key when starting but I just go back to darwin.

I can hear the install disk spinning but it doesn’t load.

Bye the way when I get the darwin screen it asks for login. Which I do but no commands I have tried work after login.

This could be because the hard disk is fried and I suspect it is, because it is the original and before this happened I was getting lots of slowdowns and freezes. I have a hard disk with firewire. The problem is I can’t get out of darwin so is there I way I can use darwin to boot up from the install cd and install the os onto the firewire hd. Then boot up from that.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.