Apples power adapters

Reaction score
Are desktop iMac computers compatible with ATX power supplies like you would find in a PC? I would think so since they ship with Intel hardware since 2006 but just want to be sure.

For Apple notebooks, iPads, and the various other Apple products, is there a universal adapter that you can get that will fit all these, like an iGo?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Does it have the same power voltages? Yes. Is it the same form factor? Nope.

The LCD iMacs (at least the ones I've looked at), have a completely proprietary power supply. It may be the functional equivalent of a typical ATX PSU, but it's not like you could swap one into it.

As to your second question - the non-notebook devices all use standard USB chargers. The iPod needs a bit more power than your average USB charger can supply, but for the most part, they all use a USB wall-wort of some kind.

The MacBook line uses MagSafe-based power adapters - and although there are some knock-offs, it's a patented connector and very much proprietary to Apple. So, there are no universal chargers, aside from this one which requires a hack to an existing MagSafe power adapter.

OP
M
Reaction score
Ok.

I have a 1350 watt ATX psu that I use for swapping into PCs when troubleshooting them. I got one with a high wattage so I can rule out a bad psu on both high-end machines and average desktop computers. I don't physically install the PSU into the machines, I just plug in the connectors.

On that note, could I buy a PSU for a recent-model (high-end) Apple desktop computer and use it to power current and older model desktops ?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.