canon optura 100mc camcorder not detected

H

halpin

My ibook G4 (1.4GHZ, 1.5 GB Ram, 10.4.3) is unable to detect my canon optura 100MC minidv camcorder. The camcorder detects that it is attached to the computer, but it doesn't show up in system profiler, imovie, or image capture. I have used the firewire port to transfer data to my computer and it works fine. I have tested my camera and camcorder on several different macs. It is detected with a dual 1 Ghz desktop (10.3), a recent iMac (10.3), a powerbook (10.4), another powerbook (10.3) and not detected with two different ibooks running 10.4 and one ibook running 10.3. It seems to be a problem specific to the ibook, regardless of 10.3 and 10.4. Canon doesn't make any drivers for my camera for OS 10, and apple says the camera isn't supported by them. Does anybody have any suggestions? As much as I want to resolve this for my ibook, I'm more concerned about purchasing future macs and my camcorder not working.

Thank you for any help.

David

iBook 1.4 GHz Mac OS X (10.4.3)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
are you in view mode on the camera when you want to import it into imovie?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I think that is VCR mode.

OP
H

halpin

I am in vcr mode. I've been using this camera for years, and can hook it up and have it function properly with any other computer I've tried besides iBooks. I don't think the issue is the camera or the basic settings I have it on. Perhaps there is some workaround camera settings to get the iBook to see it, but I'm sure for general computer/camera interface it is set correctly.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
WIll have to see if my wife's iBook works with my Canon Optura 20.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.