Ye olde iBook G4 screen problem

Reaction score
My friend has an old iBook G4 and the screen has decided to go all funky. Has anyone any idea whats causing it or seen a screen go like this before?

varfolderswswsM17kwEHVKQ57rD2w-hAkTQ-Tmp-PastebotPastebot2012-02-121159.jpg

Pastebot2012-02-12115928AM.jpg

Im guessing its a graphics chip/card problem rather than something like a loose cable but would like others opinions before I break the news that iseither scrap or needs a reflow etc.

Tanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Im guessing its a graphics chip/card problem rather than something like a loose cable but would like others opinions before I break the news that iseither scrap or needs a reflow etc.

Could be, but the way to find out for sure is to hook up an external monitor to the iBook and see what it looks like. If the external monitor displays the same symptoms, then it's the GPU. If not, it's probably the display itself that's defective.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Without an external monitor to confirm as chscag mentioned, there really is no way to be totally sure. However, to me that really looks more like a logic board/graphics chip problem, rather than the screen.

OP
K
Reaction score
Could be, but the way to find out for sure is to hook up an external monitor to the iBook and see what it looks like. If the external monitor displays the same symptoms, then it's the GPU. If not, it's probably the display itself that's defective.

That was the plan but getting hold of the mini VGA adapter isn't as easy or quick as I had hoped,they seem a bit rare nowadays

OP
K
Reaction score
OK, matey has decided he wants to try it with an external monitor, problem is getting hold of the cable i.e one of these

E21591_LRG.jpg

Does anyone know anywhere UK based that srocks them? All I can find are HK/China suppliers which Im not a big fan of handing over my details to.

Tar

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
OK, matey has decided he wants to try it with an external monitor, problem is getting hold of the cable i.e one of these

E21591_LRG.jpg

Does anyone know anywhere UK based that srocks them? All I can find are HK/China suppliers which Im not a big fan of handing over my details to.

Tar

Have you tried Amazon UK?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.

E21591_LRG.jpg

Tar

kelv, PC World had a good range of connectors the last time I looked.

Also, being a fully paid up member of the Battery Stasi I have just noticed that you are choking your lithium battery, that is unless you are doing the 'once every few months' battery calibration regime.;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
If it is the graphics card which it might be then make sure to backup your files. It could also be a connector that is loose.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.