keyboard "shortcut"...

Reaction score
on my iPhone, i found an option in the settings / keyboard where i can program a short string of characters to produce / suggest a sentence. (photo attached.)

does my macbook have an option like this? if so, it would sure be handy! if not, is there an 'app-for-that?'

IMG_0963.jpg

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
System Preferences > Language & Text > Text > select use symbol & Text substitution > + type in whatever you want. e.g. I just typed in my initials in the 'replace' column & set my full name in the 'with' column. Works well. :)

OP
B
Reaction score
text substitutions...

System Preferences > Language & Text > Text > select use symbol & Text substitution > + type in whatever you want. e.g. I just typed in my initials in the 'replace' column & set my full name in the 'with' column. Works well. :)

thanks, torch.

i found the place to make this change, but it does not seem to work when i test it in pages. for that matter, the other substitutions that appear by default don't work either (like (r) and (c) and TM, etc.)

i do have the 'use symbol and text substitution" box checked. is there another option i'm missing somewhere?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
I tested it in TextEdit which worked but I didn't check it in Pages where it won't work..
No idea why as all the default ones do.
Looks as if the third party option comes next.. sorry about that.

OP
B
Reaction score
solved!......

torchy,

for some reason, it took a restart to take effect but it works now.

thanks for the help!

-andrew

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.