Issues with volume not changing

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

For a start I am sorry if this is not posted in the right place, to be honest I don't know if one should count this as an software or hardware issue. I must also apologize in case my english is not accurate, I'm not from an english-speaking country.

Anyhow. My MacBook from late 2010 with Snow Leopard 10.6.8 is not changing volume properly. I've googled and found people who's had problems with the sound buttons not working at all or the sound gone completely, but nothing about my problem.
My volume buttons work, but the Mac is not changing volume. If I have the sound turned to the lowest level and press the key to rise the volume, the screen shows the volume getting higher and there is that little sound when you press the button, but that sound is not getting louder. Nor is any other sound on the Mac.
So basically: if I am for example listening to music with the volume on the lowest level, and I press the keys to rise the volume the screen tells me that the volume is rising, but it's not. It stays the same.
If I put in a pair of speakers or a headset it's the same thing, the volume is not changing. The only way for me to alter the volume is to spam press the volume buttons at the moment when I'm connecting my headset. Then the volume will work properly and I will be able to change it to how I want it. But a few minutes later it goes back to the same again. So each time I want to lower or higher the volume, I have to pull my headset out and then put it in again while I am spamming the volume buttons.
Same thing applies for using the built in speakers. When I start up my Mac or "wake" it from the stand-by I have to grab the headset and connect it and then disconnect it while pressing the volume buttons all over the place in order to be able to control the volume of the built in speakers. And that too works only for a few minutes.

So uhm... Help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
First of all, your English is very good. In total, it's better than I see here from some for whom English is their first language. Since you expressed concern about it, I've offered alternatives to your wording in a few places below.

Now to your Mac. Go to System Preferences > Sound. Where is the "slider" set? Maybe it's just too low.

Hello everyone!

For a start I am sorry if this is not posted in the right place,. t To be honest I don't know if one should count this as an a software or hardware issue. I must also apologize in case my english is not accurate, I'm not from an english-speaking country.

Anyhow., M m[/by] MacBook from late 2010 with Snow Leopard 10.6.8 is not changing volume properly. I've googled and found people who've s had problems with the sound buttons not working at all or the sound gone completely, but nothing about my problem.
My volume buttons work, but the Mac is not changing volume. If I have the sound turned to the lowest level and press the key to raise the volume, the screen shows the volume getting higher and there is that little sound when you press the button, but that sound is not getting louder., N nor is any other sound on the Mac.
So basically:, if I am for example listening to music with the volume on the lowest level, and I press the keys to raise the volume,[/B ]the screen tells me that the volume is rising, but it's not. It stays the same.
If I put in a pair of speakers or a headset it's the same thing,; the volume is not changing. The only way for me to alter the volume is to spam? press the volume buttons at the moment when I'm connecting my headset. Then the volume will work properly and I will be able to change it to how I want it. But a few minutes later it goes back to the same again. So each time I want to lower or raise higher the volume, I have to pull my headset out and then put it in again while I am spamming? the volume buttons.
Same thing applies for using the built in speakers. When I start up my Mac or "wake" it from the stand-by, I have to grab the headset and connect it and then disconnect it while pressing the volume buttons all over the place in order to be able to control the volume of the built in speakers. And that too works only for a few minutes.

So uhm... Help?

OP
C
Reaction score
First of all, your English is very good. In total, it's better than I see here from some for whom English is their first language. Since you expressed concern about it, I've offered alternatives to your wording in a few places below.

Now to your Mac. Go to System Preferences > Sound. Where is the "slider" set? Maybe it's just too low.

Thank you very much for the language help and the corrections :)

I'm not entirely sure of what slider you mean. I've never even touched the sound preferences, so if those worked when I bought the Mac they should be fine now.

When I get control of the volume - when I've connected and disconnected a headset while pressing the volume buttons rapidly - it is a huge difference from when the volume is stuck. It is completely impossible to miss the fact that the volume is working properly when comparing to when the volume is "stuck". So at least I know that I am not imagining.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I'm using OS 10.5.8 and my Sound pane in System Preferences has a volume control that slides horizontally from low to high volume. Doesn't yours have this?

OP
C
Reaction score
Well, I'm using OS 10.5.8 and my Sound pane in System Preferences has a volume control that slides horizontally from low to high volume. Doesn't yours have this?

Yes, mine got that as well. It moves when I press the volume buttons. There is no difference when I just click and drag it. The sound stays the same unless I plug in and out my headset while sliding the volume control. If I do that I am able to control the sound for a few minutes, then it get stuck again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
This seems odd, as if the socket may be faulty or the output is not set up for internal speakers.

Go System Prefs>Sound>Output..what does it say in there..... "Internal Speakers Built In" or something else?

OP
C
Reaction score
This seems odd, as if the socket may be faulty or the output is not set up for internal speakers.

Go System Prefs>Sound>Output..what does it say in there..... "Internal Speakers Built In" or something else?

Under "name" it says "internal speakers" and under "type" it says "headphone port".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Under "name" it says "internal speakers" and under "type" it says "headphone port".

I don't have either of those to even choose. Here's what I have...
Name: Headphones
Type: Built-In Output

But, I do get sound from the desktop speakers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.

Ok. I understood that the Macbook's mini jack could also double up as an Optical out. It automatically detects an optical cable when it's plugged in and changes the output to digital.
My thoughts where maybe that somehow there was conflict between the two.

It seems odd that you can only alter volume when you are deliberately forcing the headphone jack into the socket. It actually does sound as if the socket is faulty or..just maybe..you could do with running 'repair disk permissions' in Disk Utility perhaps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.