.mpeg-2.

H

ho7pes6fall1

how do i convert my imovie film to an mpeg-2 format so i can open it in DVD studio pro.?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I know that iMovie files can be read by iDVD. I am making the assumption that DVD studio pro should be able to rad any thing that iDVD read. Have you tried it?

OP
H

ho7pes6fall1

rman said:
I know that iMovie files can be read by iDVD. I am making the assumption that DVD studio pro should be able to rad any thing that iDVD read. Have you tried it?
apple only lets iDVD work wiht apple super drive and since i have a LaCie dvd burner i cant use it.....the only files that DVD Studio Pro can load or view are mpeg-2 formats....when i try to open files in DVD studio every movie file on my computer cant be loaded.....mov. mpeg. mpeg4. all files are grey or not sellectable...it sucks

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just purchase an external LaCie DVD burner and iDVD. I was not able to install iDVD like you said no superdrive. I was able to get iDVD of the DVD disk, but I needed 1.2 GB to load and I did not have that. I would have to repartation by disk, which I plan to do when I get Panther.

I find it interesting that Final Cut Pro can read iMovie files, and iDVD can read iMovie files. But DVD studio pro can not read iMovie files. it should be able to read iDVD files, but we have superdrive problem.

I have read that DVD studio pro will work with an external burner. It looks like I will have to get DVD studio pro.

Do you have Quicktime Pro or Final Cut Pro? They should be able to create mpeg2 files. Quicktime Pro comes with Final Cut Pro

OP
H

ho7pes6fall1

i have final cut express dvd studio pro quicktime pro 6 how do i export from QTP 6 to mpeg 2?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just looked at the Apple site and found that QuickTime 6 MPEG-2 Playback - Mac OS X (dead link removed), just plays back mpeg2 files not convert to it.

I was mistaken. There is another link on this site about DVD recording. I will check it.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
from what I just read about iDVD, it convert the data/file to mpeg2 before it write it to the DVD disk. This maybe true of DVD Studio Pro.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I looked at the Apple site and found the following:

Follow these steps to export iMovie 3 projects to iDVD 2:

1. Choose File > Export.
2. Choose "To QuickTime" from the Export pop-up menu in the Export window.
3. Choose "Full Quality DV" from the Formats pop-up menu.
4. Click Export.
5. Type a name for the exported movie and click Save.

You maybe be able to read in the created file into DVD Studio pro.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here is something I found out last. Toast 6 can create a mpeg2 file. I used Toast to read in data (sermon) from my DV camera. The initial file of movie data is a quicktime file. When you write the file to DVD Toast converts the movie to mpeg2 then creates the DVD. Once you have finished, you can sve the mpeg2 file by keeping it upon exiting the program.

The problem is you want it created from iMovie.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.