iTunes library to atv2 while Mac off?

Reaction score
Hello All,
I am hoping there is a way for me to watch my iTunes movies and tv shows while my Mac is off. I figure this will take some additional equipment but don't know where to start. All replies and suggestions are greatly apprieated.

Thanks,
Art

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I think you''ll have to jailbreak you ATV 2 to do it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
DeskTop is a MacPro 2.8 Quad/22gig/900gig SSD/2x3Tb HD plus MBP 15" 2.66 Core I7 /8gig/1.5Tb SSD
You can always go back to ATV1 with a 320gig hard drive that will work..

Reaction score
yes, you would need additional hardware. you'd need a NAS (look at Drobo). And you'd need to jailbreak and use Plex.

At that point you wouldn't even technically be using the mac except to load whatever files you wanted the ATV to play onto the NAS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
If the content was bought through iTunes then, sorry to disagree with the others but there's no way around having you're Mac on to run the library.

Even jailbreaking won't allow you to play drm content.

If, however it's content you've added yourself then you can jailbreak, put the content on a NAS drive (no need to go to the expense of something high end like drobo $150 will get you a 1-2tb drive) then I'd recommend XBMC over plex.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.