Spinning gears

Reaction score
So i bought my mac book pro less than a year ago, with no problems , then i updated to lion. Thats when my problems started. Whenever i try to update lion it updates then sticks on the white apple logo with the spinning gears. So i try to restart it, nothing, then i try to reset pram, nothing, hardware check, nothing. So i end up having to do a restore. So i've had to restore 5 times in about 8 months. So i wanna know is it normal for me to have restore so often ? Its gotten so bad i wont shut down my mbp anymore.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, that's not normal. Boot to your Lion Recovery partition by holding down the option key and selecting Recovery. Choose Disk Utility and do a verify - repair on the OS X partition. Let's see what it reports back. You might also want to do a repair permissions while you're at it.

OP
D
Reaction score
No, that's not normal. Boot to your Lion Recovery partition by holding down the option key and selecting Recovery. Choose Disk Utility and do a verify - repair on the OS X partition. Let's see what it reports back. You might also want to do a repair permissions while you're at it.

Hey thanks for that advice. Actually the last time it happen, thats what i did. And the permissons were bad, but after repairing i restarted and no difference. Also about 2 weeks ago i brought it to the mac store and they did the same with the permissons. What would be causing this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds like a failing hard drive or one that is beginning to show signs of failure. Download the free trial of "Smart Utility for the Mac" from here. Run it and let us know the details of what it says about the drive.

OP
D
Reaction score
hey friend, i download and installed software. It just shows passed, no errors found, temp. 23 degrees c.
On a side note why when i download software, any software outside the appstore, i download and then unzip the file nothing happens. I then have to go to finder and search for the app? By the way thanks for the help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.