Is MacKeeper worth buying?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I still find Mac World reviews useful from time to time but I no longer use Mac Life as a guide. I used to follow them regularly but no more.

It seems that the quality of writing (even for reviews) is just not there anymore. I stopped reading when a friend pointed out how many times he had found factual errors that went uncorrected. I realize anyone can make errors in a review but I have not been impressed recently.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2011
ummm why am I seeing advertisements for Mackeeper on this macforums site??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2011
So to any people unaware it could look like this site itself is advertising Ma keeper?? 0_0

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was toying around the other day with another of MacKeeper's modules. It claims to be able to encrypt and hide files/folders of one's choice. The way it works is you first set a master password for this module in MK. This password is required to hide/unhide anything you add to it. Next, you drag the file/folder into that module in MK. You can OPTIONALLY choose to encrypt it. Otherwise, it will "simply" hide the file/folder. Once done, the file will disappear and can only be unhidden by using MacKeeper and requires the master password you set beforehand.

Now… as I said, encrypting the newly hidden file is optional; unhiding it already requires the master password you set; so it seems pointless to use the encrypt option, which will add yet another password. I'm sure many people may see it that way. The problem is that the way MK "hides" these files is seriously asinine and easily defeated.

Firstly, I found the file by enabling Finder to show hidden files. Where the original file was (a simple jpg image) that I had used in this testing, I found a file whose name was preceded by a period. Adding a period to the front of a name is a quick and dirty method of hiding files in OS X, and OS X does use it extensively, but it's not the only way. Files can simply be "flagged" as hidden.

Secondly… the name of this hidden file initially looked like gobbledygook. In actuality, it was the original name of the original file spelled backwards, with the user name appended and spelled backwards, and "MacKeeper" appended to the name… again backwards. There was no extension, and in fact the original extension (.jpg) was stripped. Adding the extension .jpg didn't work, so clearly this was some other type of file and the contextual menu showed it was a package of some sort. After looking through the package, I thought that the structure looked familiar, so I appended .dmg to the file name and BAM! I had a mountable disk image with my jpg file in it.

So… all MK is doing is putting the original file in a disk image; putting a period in front of the name to "hide" it; and technically keeps the original name but spells it backwards. I should also mention that the original file, once "hidden" by MK, is simply moved to the Trash. Forget to empty the trash, and the file you wanted to hide is still recoverable. Empty the Trash but have access to competent file recovery software? You should be able to recover it. Didn't use the encryption option? The "hidden" file is easily found and recovered. if you do use the encryption option, trying to mount the dmg as I did will result in a prompt for a password. Not MK's master password… the secondary one if you optionally use the encryption option. So it seems they add some degree of value here. Or do they?

Literally, once you take away MK's hokey and easily circumvented system of "hiding" these files, you have a disk image that can be created, with encryption, by a number of other free tools, including what comes with OS X… Disk Utility. I suppose MK's system here is adequate for technical illiterates who don't have a really strong NEED to keep something from prying eyes, and more importantly don't have nosey friends/family who are more technically competent. But for anyone else, relying on this would be foolish.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So to any people unaware it could look like this site itself is advertising Ma keeper?? 0_0

As per the thread I linked to, they are well aware of that "perception" and have been trying to work with the partners who serve up those ads to eliminate them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2011
Yeah read the link......hope you guys get this fixed
Just wondering.......the staff always send a welcome message to new members right?? Why not include things like these in that message,or at least state that they don't control any of the advertisements

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 iMac8, Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.06 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB hardrive
MacKeeper

I would heartily echo all of the advice to stay away from this software. I spent the money and ended up taking my iMac to the shop for the first time since I mistakenly thought the DVD drive was acting up. The only thing wrong with this wonderful machine was that particular software causing conflicts.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.