Sound Cutting out in MacBook

Reaction score
Hi All,
The sound keeps cutting out on my Macbook. I understand that there is a small red LED that flashes in the earphone port when this problem occurs and by pushing the button in the port in it stops the problem from happening for a while. It was doing this before I upgraded the software to Snow Leopard. It then stopped for a while s I thought the software update had cured the problem but it is back.

Does anyone know what I need to do in order to resolve this problem?

Many thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Can no-one help??

Some extra info may help...such as exactly what model MacBook you have...and exactly what OS version you're running.

I'm familiar with a bunch of the MacBook models...and I'm confused by the references to a "button" in the earphone port...and the small red LED that flashes (but maybe it's a MacBook model I'm not familiar with).

And just one more quick thought. Are you 100% sure the problem is with the computer...and not with the headphones? Since if it's the headphones...a new pair would probably solve the issue. Do you have a 2nd set of earphones to test with?

- Nick

OP
H
Reaction score
The model is the Macbook 'White' from 2009. I am running OS X 10.6.8. The red LED is basically a light inside the earphone port that seems to flash every so often, the 'button' has probably got to be the worst description I have ever used. But it is what triggers the difference between having earphones/speakers in and not, therefore turning the built-in speakers on and off.

I have tried it with both my speakers and earphones and it has been occurring with both, even when I am just using the built-in speakers it cuts out too.

It does seem to be an interesting one, and I can't seem to find any info on it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're just going to have to keep pushing the small switch inside the jack to turn off the red light. Whenever that red light is on or flashing, the sound has switched to digital and cuts off the speakers and or the headphones. The switch is very sensitive and is known to malfunction. The only cure other than keep turning it off is to change out the logic board. (The switch assembly is surface mounted to the logic board.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.