Lion start up time?? how to improve?

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I normally leave me mac on almost 24/7.

however when i do shut it down i notice that lion takes forever to boot especially if i have it restart me apps which is understandable.

When its just the OS, it takes 1:30. When i had snow leopard installed on the same machine it would take 27 seconds to come up.

I have made sure no apps are starting at login, have all the latest updates, and repaired disk permissions.

Its a 2011 mbp 2.2 quad core i7 with 8gb of ram and a 500gb at 7200rpm

I feel that is should be much faster than this, also noticed that my windows 7 partition boot in under a minute as well.

what could be causing this? and anything i can do improve it.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Unfortunately, Lion is kind of a pig when it comes to boot times. Assuming you've already checked Login items to make sure no apps are set to auto-start (System Preferences => Users & Groups => Your account name => Login Items tab), my next inclination would be to look at /Library/StartupItems. You may also want to check the Console logs (Applications => Utilities => Console) to see if there are any repeating errors during startup.

Or, you could just get in the habit of not rebooting. OS X is based on BSD, so it's designed to run 24/7/365. There's rarely ever any need to do a real reboot.

And finally, you could upgrade your hard disk to an SSD. My lesser-specced MBP boots in a little less than 15 seconds.

Reaction score
You may also want to check the Console logs (Applications => Utilities => Console) to see if there are any repeating errors during startup.

Hi, I have many errors showing in the console. How can be repaired?

Thanks for your reply!

Ø3 :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi, I have many errors showing in the console. How can be repaired?

Thanks for your reply!

Ø3 :)

It depends on the error. Each one will need to be researched and addressed individually (unless they are duplicates). Google is your friend.

Reaction score
It depends on the error. Each one will need to be researched and addressed individually (unless they are duplicates). Google is your friend.

Thank you very much for the fast reply. I'm too new at Mac to figure out how to search for that in Google. I have, for example many errors from Photoshop and Aperture, among others, which I don't understand. For example, this error:

01/05/12 10:50:27,399 [0x0-0x4d04d].com.adobe.Photoshop: May 1 10:50:27 Martin.local Adobe Photoshop CS6[1058] <Error>: CGContextSetAllowsAntialiasing: invalid context 0x0

Should I look for the whole phrase or for some specific words. If so, which one/s?

Thank you :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you very much for the fast reply. I'm too new at Mac to figure out how to search for that in Google. I have, for example many errors from Photoshop and Aperture, among others, which I don't understand. For example, this error:

01/05/12 10:50:27,399 [0x0-0x4d04d].com.adobe.Photoshop: May 1 10:50:27 Martin.local Adobe Photoshop CS6[1058] <Error>: CGContextSetAllowsAntialiasing: invalid context 0x0

Should I look for the whole phrase or for some specific words. If so, which one/s?

Thank you :)

Just take the whole line and put it in Google. You may want to prune it by removing the date stamps and machine name (martin.local), which are specific to you.

Reaction score
Just take the whole line and put it in Google. You may want to prune it by removing the date stamps and machine name (martin.local), which are specific to you.

Thank you very much for the tip! I have done that and found that, in order to fix these errors I have to know programming :'( Is there a way for newbies or I just have to accept those errors ^^

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
Unfortunately, Lion is kind of a pig when it comes to boot times. Assuming you've already checked Login items to make sure no apps are set to auto-start (System Preferences => Users & Groups => Your account name => Login Items tab), my next inclination would be to look at /Library/StartupItems. You may also want to check the Console logs (Applications => Utilities => Console) to see if there are any repeating errors during startup.

Or, you could just get in the habit of not rebooting. OS X is based on BSD, so it's designed to run 24/7/365. There's rarely ever any need to do a real reboot.

And finally, you could upgrade your hard disk to an SSD. My lesser-specced MBP boots in a little less than 15 seconds.

Agreed with you SSD is the way to boot up your mbp fast. No doubts.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
For that error, it appears that it can be caused by certain Photoshop plugins (see here). Remove or disable any plugins and see if that helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.